.54 cal. sabot 1 in 60 twist?

A Malcome is still way too modern for most of the rifles I make. It is 80 to 120 years too late.

Here are some examples.

True in that case Wyosmith, but not true in all cases. A Malcolm scope is fitting on some traditional muzzleloaders as it was made in the mid 1800's and used during the Civil War.

Oh, and I agree with Pahoo except for the single word part...

I agree with the 2 guys above...absolutely friggin' beautiful. Also 60 years old and just now getting into BP hunting (shoulda done it years ago when I could still see the rear sight)

Well traditional muzzle-loading guns are great fun. We are not going to be younger tomorrow, so you may as well start now.
:)

Steve - first scoped rifle I know of in America was made in 1776 by David Rittenhouse (Boston) for Charles Wilson Peale (portrait painter). Peale got kicked in the eye so Rittenhouse made a spring loaded buttpad (there's a 1770 English precedent).

I wonder if the differences in spellings are his own, or were commonly used at that time. In this day, I don't think about how few people might have had a standardized basic education then. Perhaps it was usual for different people to spell the same thing differently...especially those whose trade was not writing. Interesting.

How long do you think it would take before you had to find a spider to reweb your telescope? :eek:

original poster here

Thanks to all the help in regards to the original question. I really appreciate it.

However the post was hijacked by people arguing about metallurgy of barrels, building a gun and wheel weights. Lets stay on topic. Thanks again.

That's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Alot of topics stray but it comes full circle. The mods will handle it if it becomes too crazy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wyosmith I never said nobody has or did, just not to my knowledge
and don't claim to be a know it all................
I quit researching different guns and companies over 20 years ago, when I settled on the BP rifle I wanted. I still have it. Won't likely ever sell it.
It shoots too well
Mule deer, pronghorn and elk with it. No need to replace it.

I believe pure lead was recommended more for accuracy reasons than barrel longevity. I have used Hornady 000 buckshot in my .36 caliber and could barely tell the difference between it and their .350 muzzleloading roundballs as far as results were concerned. However the small amount of antimony in the buckshot made them a little harder and harder to load, as well as being more likely to cut the patch upon loading.
Even the pure iron is much harder than any lead based alloy.

I'm a little late to this thread, but i'd like to add my opinion. I hunt with a GPR .54 flintlock for bear, muley bucks, and elk.

I use a PRB and 80gr of Goex 3F. I have no problem killing all the game I hunt. As a still hunter I don't take long shots. I hunt in the dark timber.

Sneak in close and all you need is a soft pure lead round ball.

Back