500 yards

Generally I recommend 1x magnification per 100 yards for "tactical" or "hunting" uses.

For competitions that allow optics (F Class) then "as much as you can get" is a good answer.

For competitions that require irons, no need for a scope.

How to choose a scope is a whole different thread. Optical quality, light gathering ability, repeatibility of adjustments all come into play. But I would rather have high quality, low magnification, than low quality high magnification.

Jimro

It would be helpful if the OP told us of his intended use. Hunting, out to 500 yards? If hunting, is it for deer-sized critters? Prairie dogs? Or, is it strictly for target shooting?

Jimro said:
Generally I recommend 1x magnification per 100 yards for "tactical" or "hunting" uses.

1x per 100 yards... yikes. I'd take a zero off that for my purposes.

I'm a big fan of "Aim Small, Miss Small". You can't "Aim Small" if you can't SEE Small.

I had a red dot "1"x on my shotgun for one morning (no more than about 2 hours in truth), one deer season. A group of doe came through the woods, walking, at about 70 yards. I simply could not convince myself to pull the trigger. The dot covered what seemed like about 12 inches at that range (even though it was probably less than 3) and there was no way I could tell if there was a sapling or other obstruction between us.

I left the woods, went to Bass Pro, got a Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn 3-9x and never looked back. The scope probably never saw less than 5x either, even though the vast, VAST majority of my shots at deer are 40 yards and under. I shot one, on the run, at about 10 feet one day, scope on 5x.

Plus, there's the sighting-in issue. Sighting in a gun at 100 yards with 1 or 2 or 3x (or IMO even 9x) just sucks. Yeah, it works fine for "Close enough to kill a deer" but it's not for precision work or even just finding out how good the gun can shoot.

I don't see why any shooter ever needs less than 3x, and that's only if they're not experienced with optics. An experienced scope shooter should never have any trouble with 5x. Target acquisition problems are a result of improper shouldering of the gun, not a product of magnification. Yes, magnification... well, magnifies... the issues but it doesn't CAUSE them. The cause is bringing your eye to the scope instead of bringing the scope to your eye.

500 yard shooting with the possibility of close shots? A 5-50x would be ideal, if such a thing existed and cost less than a Ferrari.

You shooting paper or Moose?
Back in the day, I thought a 3x9 scope was all that was made. I then bought some higher and higher powered scopes over the years. I am now spoiled. One of my deer hunting rifles has a 6 x 30 or maybe 32 (would have to look). 30 power is real nice at 700 yards. I have also come to discover that 30 power aint that bad at 100 either. You can count the hairs under the cross hair.;)

I do a lot of rifle shooting to 300 yards, & most of my rifles wear a 12X or 14X as max power... I think I'd want a variable power, with a high of 16X if I were regularly shooting at 500 yards

I run a 1-4x24 on my battle rifle at that distance. A 3-12x44 on my hunting rifles at that distance. Gotta be able to count the points on the rack ya know.

But the 1-4 with quality glass (vortex viper in my case) is enough to hold about 2 MOA out to 800 yards for me. Smaller groups equal the need for more magnification.

8-32 for me. heck my 22's wear a 24 power scope. I like to shoot small.
Clarity does NOT trump power n my book. As Bart said,repeatability and tracking is # 1 all the way. One has to know where the bullet is going before you pull the trigger. Varmints are small, Over ther somewhere is not good enough.
Right there is what you need.

4runnerman said:
Clarity does NOT trump power n my book. As Bart said,repeatability and tracking is # 1 all the way.

I agree that repeatable adjustments are important, but the original question was on magnification. I'll buy a higher quality glass over magnification every time. I have a 2-7X35 scope that allows me to see .204 caliber bullet holes in paper at 100 yards, and allows me to make shots on prairie dogs and coyotes to 400 yards. 12X lets me track .30 caliber holes out to 300 with ease. If I really need super high power to see something I have a 20-60X80 spotting scope handy most of the time on a bench tripod.

High magnification is not strictly necessary when shooting 500 yds. As some have pointed out, you can shoot man-sized targets at 500 yds with iron sights. My first scoped varmint rifle wore a Weaver K4, and I could connect pretty consistently out to 400 yds, sometimes further. For deer hunting, My first scope (and still my preference) is a 2.5-7X, and I have shot deer out to 400-ish yds.

I think clarity and fine reticles are the ticket. Yes, repeatability is important in a target scope where you might adjust sights for different ranges, but for hunting, once you are zeroed, who cares if the adjustments are repeatable? One of my oldest rifles wears a B&L Diavar 8X with external adjustments, and repeatable it is not. Don't even try to "shoot the box"! But it shoots fine.

What magnification do you recommend for shooting to 500 yards.

Will depend on caliber and use. I like the 6-24x50 mm scopes and that is what sits on my 243. For my AR-15 a 3-9X40 is all I need and would not consider shooting it to 500 yards. But for my 5.56 bolt action rifle, it wears a 8-32X44 MM scope and would be fine for that range if I had a place to shoot that distance.

Again, it will depend on purpose and caliber.

Jim

3-9X40 mm 5.56 Rem

6-24X50 mm 243 Win

6-24X50 mm 270 Win

8-32X44 mm 5.56 Rem

8-32X44 mm 22 Mag

4-16X40 22 LR

Last edited:
For my AR-15 a 3-9X40 is all I need and would not consider shooting it to 500 yards. But for my 5.56 bolt action rifle, it wears a 8-32X44 MM scope and would be fine for that range if I had a place to shoot that distance.
:confused:

Why not? I have shot to 600 yards with an AR with A2 Iron Sights, there is no reason you can't with a 3-9X scope.

emcon5 said

0X works for me.

Never heard anyone actually admit they shoot with both eyes closed. :D

Caliber, purpose and target size all matter. Just to hit a big gong...sure, 1x is enough. To place a bullet on a sub-MOA target, you will probably want 10x or more.

I shoot my match AR out to 600 yards at 4 or 5x on a regular basis with 3 to 4 MOA targets. I shoot big game at 500 yards on 6 to 12X. I shoot sub MOA targets at 500 yards on 10 to 20x.

Back