.50 Cal Hawkins and Deer Hunting-wrong set up, or just unlucky???

sounds like you`re telling him right bigv. think i got my 1st t/c hawkins 50 cal. when i was a teen. been shooting 0.495 ball/ 0.015 patch with 90 grns. ffg blackpowder every since. killed alot of deer with that load. deer is an amazing animal. blew the heart and lungs out of a buck several years ago and he ran approx. 60-70 yds. before he realized he wasn`t alive anymore. that was with a 12 ga. 23/4 slug. my oppinion -t/c hawkins 50`s with that twist are one of the most accurate store bought roundball shooters on the market. good hunting

I’ve owned a T/C Renegade in .50 cal for a long long time, and have taken a lot of deer with it. I use the T/C maxi-ball with a charge of 95 grains of FFG. This is a very accurate loading in my rifle, and a combination that has never failed me in the field. The same goes for my hunting buddies who have also taken a lot of deer with a muzzleloader. I usually aim for just behind the shoulder, and that gives you a little leeway because a hit either a little back or a little forward will make no difference. That deer will be down. The maxi-ball will penetrate a deer from end to end, or take out both shoulders. In all the deer I have gotten with my rifle, I have never recovered a maxi-ball.

Most deer will be on the ground in just a few yards, usually just a step if you take out the shoulder bones, but some lung and heart shot ones may go considerably further. Unless I actually see the deer fall, I always like to wait for 30 minutes before taking up a blood trail.

I’m sorry to hear you had a bad field experience with a muzzleloader, but my advice is to forget the round balls and go with a maxi-ball or some other conical that is much heavier than a round ball. I know round balls will sometimes shoot incredibly accurate, but play around with different loadings and techniques with your rifle and you will find a conical of some sort that will shoot equally well. There is a world of difference in performance on game between the two.

Good advice from all. I appreciate it. I don't have many friends that hunt with these old style lock rifles and I got these passed down from my dad. Like I said, I have never had the opportunity to recover the deer, so I was beginning to doubt myself and the gun. Your feedback gives me more hope and a new approach to my situation for next year.

like it has already been said practice practice practice, and keep your gun clean, your powder dry, and your pan full, if you are using a flintlock.

my two cents

reliabilityman, the t/c hawkins 50 cal. 1/48" twist is in my opinion probably one of the most versatle shooters made. guaranteed, if your not satisfied with prb,you can shoot many different combos accurately out of that barrel with right load, including sabots. just have to spend the time at the range. granted, with prb you may have to pick your shot but they don`t get more accurate.

reliabilityman, forgot to mention in last post, you may want to check out thread "Sabots in traditional muzzleloaders". some interesting info. goodluck:)

Back