.50 BMG Rifle

FloridaGuy

This year I am looking to purchase a .50 BMG Rifle. I don't know a lot about them so I need some help with my research. I known they make a Semi-Automatic and a Single fire. They also make .50 caliber uppers that you can use with your AR15 lower. But that is about all I known about them. Any suggestion or info would be greatly welcome.

There are several forums, and quite a few of shooters in ID and AZ.
Start at fcsa.org, the 50 cal shooters assoc.

Good luck, they are literally a blast!

I got an M82A1 about 6 months ago and have put about 150 rounds through it. It is a total rush to shoot. And not too uncomfortable either.

Accuracy may be disappointing to some though, about 1.5 to 2 MOA with $6/round match ammo. Doesn't sound bad until you consider that at 1000 yards that's a 20" deviation. I don't regret buying it as I knew of this beforehand but I am trying to find ways to accurize it.

I think I could do it over I'd probably get an EDM Windrunner in .50 BMG

Last edited:
I bought an early Barrett when ammo was fairly reasonable. Heck, back then we were buying surplus for 69 cents a round in quanity. The rifle was an attention getter, but a bugger to hit anything with. The trigger must have been about 12+ lbs. I called Barrett to see what could be done with it and they simply said "nothing...that's just the way it is". Everything was crudely put together and it worked rougher than a cob. It had what looked like tractor pins holding the upper and lower together, and I rarely shot it that I didn't end up bleeding somewhere from getting scratched or scraped from the sharp edges.
In all fairness, I would imagine they have refined some of the rough edges since then.

I remember shooting Stony's Barrett, a semi auto and really easy on recoil. We were making gravel out of a rock outcropping across a canyon about 800 yards away. I do not think MOA was our goal as the shooting centered around laughter and comaradrie. I bleed at most of my endeavors but cannot remember doing it that day (about 25years ago). For the money and pain evolved I think you can find an easier way to cause the beginning of arthiritis.

Go on Gun Broker...see what is out there. A single shot with shell holder bolt can go as low as $1400...on up from there. It will need good $$ sights too if you want them to hold up. I like a short barrel rifle as not much kick. Fun to shoot. Very accelerating. I am not a paper puncher. Need plugs and clam.

Here is a deal..break open single if you want to try one out...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=461224822

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I wanted one "just because" but never bought one, then I came across Maddi Griffin plans to build one using a Lother Walther chambered barrel blank. So I built my own.

The LAR grizzly looks to be a pretty close copy of the design.

50bmg.jpg

Something I've seen with new 50's.

Is that they don't fly off of the sellers shelves. Consequently they have a tendency to build up a fine layer of rust in the chamber.
Nothing turns a 50BMG into a single shot faster!!

Make sure you clean up the chamber before shooting it for the first time.

Have seen this 3 times now, and removing the rust is the word from Barrett, and seems to work thus far.

In all fairness, I would imagine they have refined some of the rough edges since then.

Stony, which model was it? 82A1? M99?

The tractor pins you speak of may still exist but overall the rifle seems fairly well thought out ergonomically speaking. It is a surprisingly simple design, for $8000 you would think it would look a little more like a Ferrari under the good but it's more comparable to an old Chevy truck. I kind of like that.

Also, my impression of the trigger was that it is more long and spongy than heavy, much lighter than a DA revolver but comparable in pull length. I found an easy way to fix it using a rubber mallet on the lower receiver where the bolt rests in the forward position. It's still a crappy trigger pull but significantly better. I'm going to get some Match82 ammo from ThunderAmmo.com and see what it's capable of. So far all I've shot is reman API.

Tucker, I really don't remember which model I had...it's been about 20 yrs. or so ago. It was about the first commercial offering they had out I think. The trigger on mine was long and spongy...and hard. Just for fun we would try firing it from the hip now and then....only to have the tractor pins plow another furrow in our forearms. It was basically a single shot from the hip as it wouldn't function without having a shoulder to absorb recoil...but that was to be expected. Back then I paid 5,600 for it complete with a 30mm 10x Leupold. The scope was awesome, the rifle not so much...
I got an offer of 5,600 for it one day and down the road it went...

Sounds like an M82A1 you had. I guess they have changed/relocated the pins since your rifle was made because they do not affect me while I'm shooting my rifle. Only fired one round from the standing, shouldered not from the hip, and it functioned just fine.

Walked into one of the local pawn shops to browse around a few weeks ago and they had a .50 on the counter to show off...my son's eyes lit up. A quick look at the action revealed "Vulcan Arms", I told my son we needed to run, not walk, from that one :eek:

At the 1K yard range we frequent there's always a .50 (or two), and one of the popular ones here is locally made:

http://www.serbu.com/bfg50.html

Your screen name suggests you're here in FL, will you be shooting at Manatee?

If so, suggest you head there on the weekend (or several), walk the line and talk to the guys behind them. Everyone is very helpful, and they love to share their knowledge- and might even let you drive one :D

The Armalite is on my to get list,I was working with a gun shop(not my normal shop)and we agreed on a price,I went in to order it and he said it was going to be a few hundred more so I did not order it,my regular shop will order it for me at the agreed price but I was so mad with the other shop I bought a 12LRP 6.5 creedmoor,1894 44 mag and a Raging Bull 44 mag and die sets for both,now I need to save back up..........Really like the AR50a1 even though it really doesn't have a practical use except long range shooting and the longest range within a hour drive is only 600 yards.

The only 50 ive ever shot is a browining M2. Id say it is not a practical weapon for the average shooter... but wow factor is impressive and you dont have to worry about the recoil.

I think .50s are just too expensive to shoot these days.... but i guess if you're spending $3k+ on a rifle,you are in a higher tax bracket than me, so the cost of ammo wont sting as much.

Back