5.56 dies?

Thank you everyone for the awesome responses!

I am leaning towards Shadow9mm suggestion of the Hornady 2 die set, and Lee crimp.

I will be shooting semi-auto, and because of this neck sizing is not an issue? So, Lee's ultimate 4 die is over the top because it would have an unused die? This will be more for fun, multi-purpose, and not for matches, so for now i want to crimp.

Should I get a shell holder? I am not sure the Dillion XL 750 comes with one.

Does the Hornady 2 die set deprime and set a new primer?

Thanks again for all the help.

. Should I get a shell holder? I am not sure the Dillion XL 750 comes with one.

Does the Hornady 2 die set deprime and set a new primer?

You will need to get a Shell plate from Dillon for the 223 case. Unless you purchased a cartridge specific kit along with the press.

Priming is not a function of the dies in any set. It is a function that is part of the Dillon press.

You have a lot to learn about before you load your first round. Read the instructions carefully, and then read them again.

I recommend that you watch as many reloading tutorial videos as you can. Both on single stage presses and the Dillon 750. You just jumped into a race car without taking driver education. There is a potential for very bad things to happen. Do you have a friend that already reloads who can coach you in person? We will help you as much as we can, but we won't be there watching you. There is no way we can catch a small mistake that could be very unsafe. I am not trying to talk you out of reloading, just urging you to start slowly.

I did get a caliber specific press. Delivery is delayed due to waiting for the .223 shellpate.

Thanks for the info and warning. I usually research extensively, but understand due care is needed especially if inexperienced. I also, have a friend a can consult.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

223 dies with other considerations- different case, powder charge, primer, and/ or bullet combination for a 556. Example: I've ordered 62 gr. bullets, and will adjust the recipe/ powder charge in my 556 cases for a 556 specific result. And, if I load my typical 223 recipe in a 556 case, it simply makes more brass available for the same recipe to be used in a 556 firearm.

From a safety perspective- avoid ALL 556 loads in a pistol or rifle designed for 223-only.

The pressure difference is largely overblown, IMHO. European manufactured 223 ammo is loaded to the same pressure spec as SS109 NATO ammo (the same as M855 in the U.S.). There are some funny circumstances where you can get high pressure due to the military ammo being loaded out too close to the throat of a 223 chamber (it has shorter freebore). I believe this is the main reason the European 223 causes no problems: they are seating the bullets for the right throat profile.

This article on the subject with actual testing is worth a read.

That said, note that the military has developed an even higher pressure M855A1 "green" round that uses solid copper below the steel penetrator. They used a faster powder to get this because they wanted to cut down on the muzzle fireball the M4 barrels produce. It has been shown to erode throats fast, so I wouldn't want it in my AR, either, speeding up my barrel replacement.

Back