5.56 bolt rifle

I have two, one an older Model 700 BDL varmint, great rifle but limited to light bullets as it has a 1:12 twist barrel. Don't want to rebarrel it as its the rifle I carried as a LE Sniper Rifle. We kind of got attached.

The second isn't a real rifle but a Mann Device, used by the army to test 5.56 Ammo, and that's pretty much all its good for.

I picked up a Ruger American Predator in in 6.5 CM. I'm quite impressed with this rifle so if I was going to get another 223 bolt gun it would be the Predator, hands down.

Mossberg MVP would allow you to use detachable magazines if thats something you'd desire. Otherwise for a budget rifle thats accurate I'd look at Savage or Ruger.

If you work on your own guns like I do, check out the restricted parts for Mossberg rifles before you buy one. I have one Mossberg and will never buy another one.

My son got a Savage Model 10 with an AccuTrigger a few years back. Added a Nikon Monarch 4-16 scope and he can shoot ⅝" groups with my 68grn HPBT handloads I worked up for my long range AR. Shoots consistently and works great. Great package for the price.

.223 v. 5.56mm

I am not clear on the details of the two designations, nor the rifles so marked.

But....I can tell you that I shot some NATO headstamped 5.56mm (55 gr?) from my MiniMauser, and it clocked 3850 fps plus!!! That was enough of that.

That ammo is now relegated to the AR. Accuracy BTW, was terrible in the bolt rifle.

+1. A CZ 527 American will be my next firearm. The single set trigger pretty much sealed the deal for me. I was thinking about an MVP(definitely like the mags since I'm an AR man) but just could not get past some of its issues- oh and it's a mossburg:D. I'd like to buy American-ha no pun intended-but these CZ's are just too good.

Mark my choice as a cz 527,
I have one in 223, and one in 6 mongoose, and seriously thinking about one in 6 mm ar, fat rat, predator or similar.

The Ruger American 5.56 has a 1 in 8" twist that will stabilize the heavier bullets used in 5.56 and still not be way too fast for 55 grain varmint bullets.

Back