4fg powder sub

Chowmif16: It appears as though I suffered from reading comprehension. Maybe it's because I know better? I had to go to their site and see, and it does indeed make the claim as stated. I must say I'm quite sceptical. Nay, I believe it a bogus claim, though maybe the fouling is easier, less, or somesuch. It may have a lower flash point than other subs, but I doubt it's easier than real BP. But who knows?

I prefer higher energy as I don't want to need to carry/stock various powders. As I have a .50 cal rifle and two large cal (.44/.45 cal) revolvers that I intend for hunting I'll use what gives performance, which is 3F powder. Prior to going online it was Triple 7 for me, but I was very interested in BP as the traditional sites I'm a member of are die hard users. So I had to see for myself. Swiss was the only game at that time, but wasn't available. Now there is Olde Eynsford by Goex and it much cheaper than Swiss or T7. My POI and group sizes are about the same and from chronograph results posted they all 3 give similar results by volume. So I have more Olde E than T7 due to the price.

I use Gatofeo's #1 lube so fouling isn't an issue for me.

It may have a lower flash point than other subs, but I doubt it's easier than real BP. But who knows?

I'm pretty sure that if any sub had black powder's ignition temperature, it would also fall under the same BATFE regulations that real black powder falls under.
It's the regulations that black powder falls under that keeps it from being sold at most shooting supply stores. Most of the big box retailers don't want to go through the bother for something that only a minority of muzzle loaders want to buy. All the deer hunting motivated muzzle loaders want sabots and pellets and 209 primers.

Last edited:
Back