475 Linebaugh?

I agree 100% that bullet weight which usually equates to more penetration is what kills, not energy. But going with a 500 does not necessarily mean you'll have more penetration. A 475 with a higher sectional density will often have more penetration than a 500 using a heavier bullet that has a lower sectional density. According to Ross Seifried the 500 has less penetration than the 475, but does better on game that doesn't require the really deep penetration like Cape Buff.

GI Joe, a Freedom Arms may cost $1500 but a custom 475 or 500 is going to run at least that much as well. If you really want to have the biggest baddest round on the block keep your eye out for a Ruger 357 Maximum and send it to Linebaugh for a 500 Long conversion. Then you'll really have the top dog!

That's a good point as well. The .500 may be just plain too large to push further without the extra case length. I'd like to see the penetration results of the .500 Long.

IF I COULD I'D USE MY CAR

No, I meant "360g at 1050fps".

What won't that put a hole through???????? LOL

(Of course, those going to Africa or after grizzlies have slightly different requirements.)

Gary Reeder told me that based on his clients' experience, the regular 500 Linebaugh performed slightly better on this type of game than the 475. Probably not enough to worry about, however.

Back