45LC rifles

I've shot many CAS matches and the top choice among shooters for a levergun is the 1873 (best for raw speed, but big buck$), followed closely by the Marlin 1894 (best all around levergun for the money IMHO). Further down the ladder is the Rossi 1892, which almost always needs a good gunsmith to make it reliable, and at the very bottom is the Winchester 94, who's action was designed for rifle length cartridges - it doesn't do well at all in pistol calibers.
I have a model 94AE Cowboy Winchester that my girlfriend dearly loves. I have never had any trouble with it extracting, leading, etc. I have had it now for 10 years and it gets used pretty regularly.
The 94AE was offered in rifle calibers only. It's not allowed in CAS except as a long range side match gun.

The 94AE was offered in rifle calibers only.

Not so. I have a 94AE in .44 Magnum. I believe that's a pistol cartridge.

And it feeds every time.

That's of little use for CAS, however.

Last edited:
swatts,
Refer to the post I just posted in the rifle section. I have both a 45colt and 45-70 Marlin cowboy rifles. I don't shoot CAS, but these are 2 FUN rifles.
Ralph

Not so. I have a 94AE in .44 Magnum. I believe that's a pistol cartridge.

And it feeds every time.

That's of little use for CAS, however.

They also come in .357. They're ok for CAS, just have to load the magnums down or use specials which from my understanding don't feed well out of 94's.

I've shot SASS since 1996. Even though the rules don't restrict using different calibers in the rifles and pistols, I would recommend that you stick to using one caliber for the rifle and both pistols. It's easy to mix up shells during competion. I shot a 44 Special in a 45 colt Ruger Vaquero once. Makes unloading interesting. I shoot in competion with 45 Colt. There were problems with extractors in rifles with 45 Colt in the 1800s. I don't know if it's the dimensions of today's 45 colt brass or the design of the rifles available now, but i've never heard of anyone, currently, having trouble extracting 45 Colt. 38 Special is also an excellent round to use in competion. Both 45 Colt and 38 special are straight-wall cartridges so are easy to reload. If you compete for long, you will start reloading. 38 Special is a little cheaper to reload and has a lite recoil in cowboy loads. All cowboy rounds are downloaded to velocities much less than 1000 fps so recoil is light. Other rounds, such as 38-40 and 44-40, are also used but they're harder to reload and to find pistols and rifles in the same caliber. Go to a couple of matches and there'll be several people who will gladly let you try their guns and loads. Check http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showforum=12 which is the SASS forum where all this is covered in detail. Have fun.

There were problems with extractors in rifles with 45 Colt in the 1800s.

Nobody chambered a rifle in .45 Colt in the 1800's. The case heads were a lot smaller then than they are now. An extractor couldn't grip them. It wasn't until 1985 Winchester chambered a rifle in .45 Colt.

Back