458 Win Mag VS Newer African Safari Magnums

My Grandfather took 2 elephants back in his day with an old 450 nitro express 3.25 inch.

The old guideline was 45 caliber 500 grains 2000 fps. I dont know if thats still the norm. My grandfather said that he could not quite get 2000 FPS with the 500 grain bullets but it was close enough to count. ;)

A guy I know has hunted in Africa enough such that he gets invited on occasion to take part in elephant culls. His rifle of choice is a .450 Rigby double. I've watched him shoot it. At 20 yards, an IPSC-style double-tap resulted in hits at his aim point, with no more than two inches of separation. IIRC, it weighs fourteen pounds and is more of a heavy, quick push than a sharp-impact kick.

I shot his rather-heavy .404 Jeffrey. More of a push than a sharp kick like a .300 WinMag.

At 20 yards, an IPSC-style double-tap resulted in hits at his aim point, with no more than two inches of separation.

Wow, that's truly amazing to me! That second shot must be "being gotten off" before the recoil from the first shot really "kicks in".

He wraps his left hand pretty much around the barrels, leaving a sight line. Pulls down and back while leaning forward. Similarity to a Weaver stance with a Redhawk or a Casull. Loads his own ammo, for affordability, and practices a good bit. Hunts feral hogs with it, on occasion.

A firm grip with the off hand, and leaning into the gun is the preferred method for speed shooting heavy recoiling rifles. Especially the leaning in to it part!:D

Actually good to hear someone who doesn't hold the second barrel as a backup. Double rifles in elephant calibers are neat, having advantages over bolt guns in several ways. Not for the budget minded, though! :)

I think the one-two punch (with a PH as back up) would be pretty effective, once you got good at it. :D

Back