458 Win Mag not powerful enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rechamber mdl 70 458

I have a 458 Winchester model 70 pre 64 super grade. Can this rifle be rechambered for the 458 Lott ?:

Buford,
The 458 is a standard length action the lott is a magnum length. 2.5 vs 2.8 inches. You would need a magnum length action to acomplish this some thing in .375 or .416, I don't think your action or your magazine box are long enough.
I am not 100% sure on this however. Check with a gun smith. Your .458 may just be long enough the manufacturers sometimes use longer than neccesary actions.

The Dead Shall Rise Again

Thought that the 458 Win Mag discussion was interesting enough to see if any experienced safari types had anything to add. I noticed the old refrain from the early 1960's when ball powder was used and compressed and sometimes clumped in the high temperatures of the African sun. That powder was incorrect for the intended use and is no longer recommended. Some mentioned use in Alaska. I had a an older gentleman who took his to Kodiak Island to be part of his resident son's hunting party. He said he had the biggest rifle in camp and only fired it a few times in the 25 years he owned it. Most carried the 338 Win Mag and he said his son harvested a Kodiak with his 338 Win Mag. He said he felt more confident carrying the 458 Win Mag with his backup 45-70 BFR but he was only there as backup insurance for his son who had the resident license. I can understand the confidence theory when a Kodiak circles around and show up from behind all of a sudden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back