.454 vs. .460 S&W vs .45-70 rifles

I might also be tempted to recommend this route if the OP didn't already have a .45 Colt handgun. I wouldn't wanna take a chance of getting the ammo mixed up, and blowing up the pistol.
Agreed that's why I have 45 Colt, 44 Mag and 45/70 lever guns, but it also depends on the pistol too if he has a Ruger Redhawk it'll take it.

"I've had 45-70, it's over rated. For what you want to do warmish 45 Colt or 44 magnum will do the job as long as the rifle is designed for hotter loads. There is nothing I'd hunt with a 45-70 that I'd not hunt with a 44 mag or warmish loaded 45 Colt."

I disagree. If your thinking is only regarding standard factory ammo designed for Trapdoor Springfield rifles your statement is valid. If you handload, it's a whole different ball game. There is no dinky a$$ pistol cartridge that can come close to a full power 45-70.

I disagree. If your thinking is only regarding standard factory ammo designed for Trapdoor Springfield rifles your statement is valid. If you handload, it's a whole different ball game. There is no dinky a$$ pistol cartridge that can come close to a full power 45-70.

I "custom" load my 45-70s , and think the exact same thing..

I do have a Ruger Redhawk, the .45 Colt-.45 ACP model that's cut for moon clips.
As long as that's the only 45 Colt revolver you have I'd have no worries just loading hot 45 Colts. I unfortunately also own a Colt SAA and a USFA so I load appropriate for them. But like I said I also have 44 mags and 45/70 if I want more.

As long as that's the only 45 Colt revolver you have I'd have no worries just loading hot 45 Colts. I unfortunately also own a Colt SAA and a USFA so I load appropriate for them. But like I said I also have 44 mags and 45/70 if I want more.
I also have a Pietta 1858 with conversion cylinder for .45 Colt, but my plan was if I loaded hot .45 Colt ammo, I'd do it in nickel cases and leave the standard pressure stuff in brass cases.

If I did buy a .45 Colt lever action it would be an 1892 model. Currently, only the Rossi and Chiappa's Alaskan Takedown interest me.

Back