.450 Marlin Bolt Action

Oh, yeah! I used a set of jacked-up bags and shot from a high sitting position. 40 years ago, a guy conned me into shooting his .375H&H from low bench-rest position. Real bad idea! ;)

Got around to weighing the .450 Marlin.
It's 9 lbs without the sling. That's more than the Marlin 1895 45-70 lever action by a good bit, especially if you're the one packing it through rough country. On the other hand, I'm shooting significantly hotter ammo that the lever gun will handle (READ: More Recoil), so the extra weight isn't a bad thing.
Since I'm going to be 75 years old in February and have no intention of humping this sucker more than a few miles at most, I'm happy to live with it.

Last edited:
For a while I hunted with a 458 Win Mag (shooting medium power 350 grain loads). It did a number on a deer and a pig, but eventually I got tired of lugging around a rifle heavy enough to handle full power 458 loads, so I switched to something lighter.

Gotta love the 450 Marlin! I used a bolt action I had built with a Ruger 77 action and Shilen barrel to take a nice kudu in Namibia. The Marlin accounted for a few moose when I was still living in Alaska. I gave the BLR to my son when I left there last year and he plans to use it next moose season. Maybe I'll pull out one of them and tag along with him.
17a6dd3ad54c2b9394d83e1799fec4eb.jpg
92ac30ffb2d818c6a4847c680c3afbfc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Back