.45 Super

OK

Any info on loads? Anyone? Do I need special cases?

I've got a junker Auto-Ordnance 1911 that's probably going to be a .45 Super from now on. I understand that the gun will supposedly still function reliably with standard pressure .45 ACP loads after "conversion." (I'm just talking heavier spring here.) This sounds counter-intuitive to me. Does anyone have any experience with this? Where did you get your 32# spring? Ace? Just wondering. Any info would be appreciated

Alaska Roy: What kind of loads are you seeing those velocities from? And what length barrel? I had thought that the max was around 1200fps with a 230gr, and 1400 with a 185.

Yeah, Turbo is trying to blow up a Camp 45

I play around with .45 Super a LOT. I love the cartridge and it is what .45 ACP should have turned into 30 or 40 years ago. My test mule is a modified Ruger P90. I have shot many, many, rounds through it with no disernable affects to the weapon. I usually do not load to full .45 Super specs, and I don't buy factory loaded .45 Super ammo since Triton quit making it. I have been playing with the reloads for almost two years now, and I have several favorite loads. You definitely get attention shooting a .45 that has that distinctive supersonic "crack"... :D

32# spring?

Wolffe sells 'em @ http://www.gunsprings.com

Their website doesn't show the 32 but if you call them you can get it. They've had complaints from some people stating the inability to rack the slide with it installed!
(That can't be good for the gun on the return stroke!)

Warning: watch out when installing/removing that spring!
Wear safety glasses. The 1911 32lb. recoil spring will not only puncture your eyeball, but it will push the iris out through the back of your skull.

The 45Super is a good round, but a fully supported case head (a nice ramped barrel) is a must. Ditto the 32# spring. One thing people forgot to mention is the use of the Shock-buffs, and the full-length guide rod to keep the spring from kinking. After a couple thousand rounds (yes, I'm a glutton for punishment!) my p-14 limited doesn't show any signs of excessive wear. I HAVE gone through a lot of springs and shock-buffs......:D

The 45Super is not meant to be used in small pistols. they would be impossible to rack, since the spring would be so stiff.

The pressure on the 45Super is slightly less than the 10mm, and the 450SMC is supposed to be slightly less than a 45Super. As soon as I can, I'm getting a case of the 450SMC for carry.

I'd love to get some heavier springs for my USP45. Who sells them?

I know this is kinda late but I just found this... Springfield makes a .45 Super Model V-16. Its a longslide but it was made for .45 Super so the only thing you need to do is change a spring and you can shoot .45 ACP.

.45 Super to .45 ACP

Correct. All you need to do is to change to a .45 ACP recoil spring. Something on the order of 18.5#.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

The factory spring on a Springfield Longslide .45 Super is the 18.5# spring. If you want to go to a lighter spring you can put in a 16# spring.

Once the gun is broken in you should be able to shoot either load with the factory spring.

I guess the extra slide mass is the reason it takes an 18.5# spring rather than some honking 32# spring.

This is my personal experience and also what I was told when I called the factory. They said it came from the factory set up with an 18.5# spring, ready to shoot .45 Super.

Ramped barrel

I agree with George, if you read Dean Grennell's "Book of the 45" one thing he stresses is the use of a ramped barrel and a strong action. The P90 has these, and it was designed around the 10mm. Its only downside from a wear perspective is the aluminum frame. I wish they made P90s with stainless frames ....

Camp Carbine?!!

CorBon advised me in '94 that +P should not be fired in Camp Carbines. Sheesh! Trying to blow it up, is right!

Back