.45 Scholfield in .45Colt

I have read elsewhere that the shipment(s) were COD, which, if true, would mean that the "out" party would be H&A. I wonder if anyone, at this point, knows for sure.

Jim

"I simply cannot believe that H&A would have accepted an order COD from the government of an occupied nation."

I don't think Belgium was occupied when they placed the order.

Jim

Well, James, there's a couple of problems with that theory...

In fact, one MASSIVE problem with that theory, and a couple of smaller ones...

The big problem?

Fabrique National

FN was established in 1889 solely to manufacture rifles for the Belgian military. Until WW I it manufactured all of the small arms used by the Belgian military.

The only reason FN would not have manufactured rifles to arm/rearm the Belgian military is if FN was no longer able to manufacture rifles for the Belgian military.

Which leads us to the next problem...

Germany.

Germany invaded Belgium in August 1914. It's what set World War I in motion. H&A appears not to have recevied any orders from Belgium until 1915.

Given FN's proximity to the German border, it was overrun very early in the war, probably no later than early September, and remained in German hands until the surrender in 1918.

Which means that when Hopkins & Allen received their contract for Mauser rifles for the Belgian military, they were receiving orders from a government in exile.

So, once again, I do not accept the premise that H&A would have accepted a COD order to supply rifles to a nation that existed in name only from a government in exile, and which was doing business from another nation (France) that was also occupied by the same combatant that had occupied Belgium.

Back