.45 - Glock or Sig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody who actually knows how to shoot a Glock also knows that they're not DAO, as one thinks of conventional DAO. When you learn to use the short reset method of firing, you get a pull that's almost like single action. (Particularly if you use a 3.5# connector, like I do)

I've also found the G21 to be a great platform for firing .400 Cor-Bon. And, I got my hi-caps with my original G21, along with a couple of extras for $20 each. Picked up another, in a swap for a Klintonista with my brother, after I'd gotten him a great deal on a G21 with 2 hi-caps for $400.

Go with the Sig :) it won't go KB like the Glocks might :)
Oh OK, that's not nice...
Glocks are great guns, highly reliable, very accurate. In 9mm only...
Sorry Glock fans, My opinion.

Except that the short reset method or whatever you want to call it can lead to failure to reset in the worst possible moment. No amount of practice can orevent this, remember Murphy's Law. Bottom line, rent and shoot both the SIG Sauer P220 and Glock 21. Decide for yourself which pistol feels best. Recoil being purely subjective, you might find it's not as bad as you expected.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

The Glock 21 DEFINITELY has less felt recoil than the SigSauer P220. The Glock 30 has less felt recoil than the Sig P220. (I have both, in fact, I've had two Sig P220s, both European & American models.) Not that this is a real problem, since the .45acp is a very gently-recoiling round in many loadings, but there IS a difference in felt recoil between guns shooting a given cartridge, depending upon the weight of the gun overall, the mass of the reciprocating parts, the elasticity of the gun frame, and the degree of leverage which the barrel is capable of exerting on the gun as a whole, during firing.
The Sig P220 is a fine gun, and though people post on this and other lists about their lower durability than, say, Glocks, I've never had anything break or otherwise "go south" on mine, and I've had 'em, carried 'em, and shot 'em for 15 years. They are very precise guns, comparatively, probably due to their tighter-than-other-guns' tolerances, yet very reliable. Mine have always fed everything, including Speer's Lawman 200 gr hollowpoint dubbed "the flying ashtray".
The Sig's problems, however, as compared to the Glock, are:
1.) It's DA/SA, that is, double action first shot, subsequent shots single action, and,
2.) Its bore axis is too high (attributable to the rather-too-bulky DA/SA mechanism housed in the frame), and the gun therefore exibits more muzzle flip (an aspect of "felt recoil") than guns with a lower bore axis, like the Glock.
That said, the SigSauer P220 is considerably more compact in ALL dimensions than the Glock 21, with width being the most noticeable of those dimensional differences. They would both be excellent home defense guns, with the Glock 21 being the definite winner in this role, IMNSHO. If you intend to ever use the gun for CCW, however, the P220 would be the obvious choice, as the Glock 21 is hard to conceal unless you're fairly large-statured. Have you considered the Glock 30 as a compromise choice? Good luck to you.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

OK, I'm gonna have to come off the fence. Though I truly like both guns, I favor the Glock 21 slighty above the Sig P220 for the following reasons:

- bore axis allows for faster recoil recovery

- easier to clean barrel

- higher capacity

- consistant trigger pull

- lower cost

That said, I have neither now and regret having sold them. I currently own a Kimber Classic and HK USP45 Tactical which I like for different reasons.

As I said before either way you go you made a good decision. Now I gotta convince my wife that any gun worth buying once is worth buying twice or three....

JJC

Also consider the USP .45. The grip is on the "large" side if you have medium hands. Also consider 1911 style pistols. I don't own any 1911's, but have handled and shot several, and they have been very comfortable in my medium size hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back