45 Colt: what should I do?

I’ve tried a lot of powders and bullets in my 45Colt Bisley and Blackhawks and without doubt for my guns a Lee 252-255RF PC cast bullet over 8.5 grains of Unique

Just from my experience, shooting a 7.5" RH, the 250 - 280gr shoot the best for accuracy. I have run a number of different makes and profiles and that range between 800 and 1050fps rules the day on targets and game. Feral hogs really despise a mid weight RFN when hit broadside or otherwise.

My powder of choice is HS-6 for my hunting loads but like already mentioned Unique and AA5 both work well for less spectacular loads and recoil. When I initially started to load for it I came across the fine write up by John Linebaugh, https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings

About halfway down he describes the load they generally use for hunting with a 260gr bullet at around 900fps. Further digging turned up several more similar articles basically running the same direction by prominent people. Hard to argue with both their and my own testing using similar weight bullets, and powders.

Back