45 Colt: what should I do?

Nathan

I have a 5” Blackhawk Bisley. Normally I shoot heavy loads through it like 265gr at 1200fps.

Looking to do either 255 plated or 255 hard case lighter loads that shoot with the same front sight….ideally

I have titegroup, AA#5, cfepistol, enforcer, longshot, no. 11fs.

Either Win LP or CCI LP Mag.

So, what should I work up for plinking?

45 lc

A lighter load should be used with a lighter cast bullet. Look at Missouri Bullets and their 200gr swc cast lead.

Now you should be able to reduce your powder accordingly for a lighter load.

Sort of like a 44spcl rather than a 44 mag load.

You will have to experiment with POI for new loads.

255 grain plated or cast isn't that much lighter , but it's a good place to start for some target , tin can and plinking loads .
My "pet " accuracy / plinking load in 45 Colt is with a 250 or 255 grain cast lead SWC and 9.8 grains of Accurate #5 @ 915 fps. w/ standard Large Pistol Primer .
You may use magnum primers if that is what you have , it will add a couple fps but is not a danger ... in fact the magnum primer may help the AA#5 get a good burn . .. Try both if you can .
You may need to adjust charge or sights ... seldom do you find a plinking load and hunting load that both hit to the same spot ... but keep working on loads ... I have developed a few ... but not ofteh !
Gary

255 grain hard cast with 8.2 - 9.0 grains of AA#5 will give you 815 to close to 900 fps, which should get the attention of whatever you’re shooting at, accurate too.

I shoot a 200 gr plated or coated bullet over 6.5 gr of Titegroup. A pretty nice mild load for plinking and targets. A good selection of light loads is shown in the Lyman reloading manual.

I’m kind of thinking about shooting a ladder with AA#5 until I feel the recoil is a bit much and then backing down 1-2 iterations. Seems easiest way to make a fun load without too much recoil. I’m guessing about 1000 fps, maybe 900fps.

I have a 5” Blackhawk Bisley. Normally I shoot heavy loads through it like 265gr at 1200fps.

Looking to do either 255 plated or 255 hard case lighter loads that shoot with the same front sight….ideally

I have titegroup, AA#5, cfepistol, enforcer, longshot, no. 11fs.

Either Win LP or CCI LP Mag.

I haven't used any of the powders you mentioned but I have some experience matching light and heavy 44/45 revolver loads to shoot very close to the same POI, using fixed sights.

You are on the right track using bullets only ten grains in weight apart. Get your lighter load going 900-950 fps and I believe you'll be pretty close.

Shot out a large frame 5 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk.

I liked 10.5gr Longshot under 250gr RNFP (255gr SWC would work too). 1079fps
I liked 11.0gr AA#5 under 255gr SWC . 961fps

Blackhawk, the one with adjustable rear sight, not the Vaquero with a fixed rear sight, right??

Front sight isn't going to matter much, factory original should be fine. Difference in point of impact with lighter loads should be within the adjustment range of your rear sight.

Depends on what level of load you want to plink with. There are roughly three general load levels common these days. (and I'm not talking in detail about the Tier I, II, & III pressure levels yet.)

Generally speaking the common load levels are, the original black powder load level /smokeless equivalent (a 250gr slug around 800-850fps +/- depending on barrel length), the cowboy action load level, which is lighter than the original BP level, and then everything heavier than the original BP level velocities, either by a little, or a lot.

If you're used to shooting 265gr @ 1200, you'll be amazed at how light the standard BP level load is going to feel. Might just be your "perfect" plinker.

Cowboy action loads are lighter, some 100fps less than standard ammo, they're made for that game, with light loads to minimize recoil saving time which matters in the game.

For me, they are too light. Gun goes "pop" and I feel like I should be checking the barrel to make sure the bullet came out. I want a load with enough recoil to be felt, and be fun even when plinking. For ME, the point of shooting an SA revolver in .45 Colt is to shoot one in .45 Colt, not shoot a cat sneeze target load. But that's just me...

Of the powders you have, the only one I am even a little familiar with is AA No.5, and it is a fairly fast powder, full pressure loads don't fill the .45 Colt case all that much, so its important to check case fill closely to make sure a double charge doesn't get a bullet and get loaded. A slower powder fills the case more, and makes a double charge more easily seen and the very slowest pistol powders double charge would overflow the case.

Even Rugers can be blown up if a double charge happens and gets past your check and becomes a loaded round. Not likely, but not impossible, so be careful.

Same warning applies to all large cases using the small charges fast burning powders require.

If you can, I recommend you get some Unique. I've used nothing but Unique in the .45 Colt for the past 40 years. Some say it burns too dirty, some say it doesn't measure smoothly enough. To which I say, "so??" I shoot cast 250gr SWC its going to be dirty no matter what. Meters smoothly enough for me.

For about the last 35 years or so, I've only been loading one load in my Ruger .45 Blackhawk, 10.0gr Unique under a 250gr cast SWC. Clocks just a bit under 1100fps from my 7.5" barrel gun so that puts it a bit above standard factory ammo in speed. Recoil is "stout" but not uncomfortable for me, (plus I use Pachmayr grips), its fun to shoot, accurate, and has plenty of "thwop" when it hits.

Its my "one load to rule them all" thing, which I use for plinking and everything else. Had my years of turning the .45 Colt into a match for the .44 Mag, (in RUGER guns) settled on a good stout load less than .44mag levels but a little bit above standard .45 Colt.

The advantage to only using one load is once you learn it, You're there. Every time you shoot the gun is going to be shooting the same. No worry about a change in the POI due to a lighter or faster bullet.

With my chosen load and now decades of practice, I know exactly where to hold to hit what I want hit at range 0-200yds.

one of the joys of Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt is that you can shoot anything from "cat sneeze" to "Dragon roar" level loads and the only thing you might need to do is adjust the rear sight.

So, just decide what general level of load you want to plink with, and load a few test rounds and see if its what you're looking for.

I have a large supply of Unique and Power Pistol, so I use 8-9 grains under a 255 Keith. I'm sure 8-9 grains of CFE Pistol would be dandy, too.

Front sight isn't going to matter much, factory original should be fine. Difference in point of impact with lighter loads should be within the adjustment range of your rear sight.

IME, the heavy loads always require the tall sight. It’s due to the recoil causing a lot of rotation on full power loads vs the light pop off a normal 45 Colt load.

I don't do it anymore, but I have run 250s into the 1200+fps range and found the factory sights to be entirely adequate.

YMMV :D

Its been near 20years ago I passed on a Uberti Sheriffs Model 45 Colt to my soon to be son in law. It was a 45 Colt fixed sight. I had "sighted in" by experimenting with loads,

I don't even know if HS-7 is still available, bit a 250 gr cast SWC and HS -7 found the bull. The load? I don't recall. Solid but Uberti appropriate. Maybe 800 or 850 fps?
I recall the big red Accurate Manual discussed BP case capacity in the 45 Colt and load density. A powder they suggested for its bulk was Nitro 100. A clue is they only put 12 oz in a 1 lb jug. I never got around to testing it.

I gave SIL about 500 cast bullets,dies,brass, and my stash of HS-7. Told him "Use this load"

My plinking load for the 45 Colt is 7.5 grains of Unique and a 225 to 230 grain LSWC.

If you can't find Unique something close on the burn rate charts should work.

Mild recoil and accurate.

My plinking load for the 45 Colt is 7.5 grains of Unique and a 225 to 230 grain LSWC.

If you can't find Unique something close on the burn rate charts should work.

Mild recoil and accurate.
Unique or W-W 231 are the classic powders for a 45 Colt behind a 255 grain cast bullet. 7 or 8 grains of either one will do most anything that you want and be very accurate while doing it.

Unique or W-W 231 are the classic powders for a 45 Colt behind a 255 grain cast bullet. 7 or 8 grains of either one ...

Might want to check modern data, my old book says 7.5max 231 with a 250gr bullet in a Colt gun. More allowed in a Ruger...

generally grouped AA no5, 231 Bullseye are fast pistol powders, Unique, AA No 7 and many others are "medium" and AA No 9, 2400, and H110 /W296 are slow pistol powders.

Differences in charge weights between the different powders in the same approximate burn rate groups are small. So are differences in performance. Often there is one that works just a little bit better in your gun than the others, but that's not a given.

Any thoughts aa#5 vs 231?

My thoughts on that are, work up loads for both, use the one that performs better (if one does) or just use the one you LIKE better. (or, in today's market, use the one you can get the powder for...:rolleyes:)

Back