45 Colt powder charges...

Love the 45 Colt

Have been loading for a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley since the 80s. I don't like the hot stuff because I use flat based SWC. I use 10gr of Unique under an RCBS SAA 280gr SWC for 1057fps. Blows through hogs to 40 yards, at any angle and is very comfortable to shoot. If you shoot an old Colt or European revolver, use manual.

GeauxTide,

I use the same bullet as a HP at about the same velocity. Never recovered a bullet from a whitetail.

Don

"Faster powders (like 231) tend to not be position dependent/very flexible
And "Cowboy" 45 Colt is still fairly "competent" at doing what 45 Colts do."

I used to think that, too.

Until I started loading .44 Special using WW 231 and I discovered that it was VERY position sensitive and gave me significant variations in velocity, which translated into crap accuracy.

I switched to Trail Boss in .44 Special and have never looked back.

I actually didn't find W-231 to be position sensitive in .44 Special. I found it accurate and consistent in my revolvers.

{ removed my tests, as slightly above SAAMI pressures for 240g SWC in the 900fps-1000fps range, ES results were < 32fps }

Also found Trail Boss okay in .44 Special. Starting at 4.5g, wasn't as consistent as w-231, but I marked each test as accurate with 6.5g under 240g SWC being marked as accurate plus. Funny thing, with my test .44 Special revolver, I had a tough time finding a load that wasn't accurate!

Of course this was in my revolvers and experience. your mileage may very.

Last edited:
I use a lot of Bullseye for various calibers but the best I get for Colt only loads is either Unique or Herco and have a tack driver load using HS6.

No. The Winchester Model 1873 is not a strong action. If you want a strong action in a lever gun, go with something based on the Winchester Model 1892 action.

Don
Could I use the same loads for a second generation Colt SAA as I could in the 1873 Winchester?

I had read to not use loads crafted for Ruger, in the SAA.

FL,

Your Colt SAA is stronger than your Model 1873 Winchester, so Yes, anything that is safe to use in your Model 1873 will be safe to use in your Colt SAA. And, yes, do not use loads designed to be used in Rugers in either of your .45 Colts.

Don

Back