45 Colt powder charges...

bjm42

Setting up to start loading 45 Colt. Speer manual says to use fast burning powder for the 45 Colt bullets.
For 10 yrs of loading 6 calibers, I have followed the concept of: Fast powder for light bullets (Bullseye, Titegroup, etc), & slow powder for heavy bullets (CFE, H 110, etc). I cook by the book, understanding it's really a guide.
Appreciate some wisdom, Thanks

Unless you're loading for strong/heavy rifle -- full case/maxed out -- powders like W296/H110 aren't an option. N

Personally, I find Titegroup my go-to powder for medium-heavy/280gr NEW Vaquero.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...s-Leading!!!&p=5121562&viewfull=1#post5121562

H110 can used in strong action rifle5/Full Frame Ruger Blackhawks
https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/1894-45-colt-case-bulge-probably-an-old-topic.83380/

But generally low-medium loads in original/SAAMI-limited strength actions do best with faster-med powders (Unique being... well... unique)

But as always -- your gun/your loads -- are different, Stay with the book, and load for your strength action

As mehavey said, with the .45 Colt, loads are determined by the strength of the firearm they are being used in. That being said, I am a fan of fast burn rate powders such as Red Dot in the .45 Colt - they simply burn cleaner.

Don

Here is a place to start.

Taffin .45 Colt

Really there are lots of references, from loading manuals, magazine articles, to books.

And there is always Black Powder too for 'authentic' .45 Colt experience.

I currently load 7.0g Green Dot under 250g RNFP as my general purpose load.

I used Winchester 231 for .45 Colt, but the powder charge occupied so little of the case volume that I had concerns that powder shift would affect velocity consistency. I switched to Trail Boss, which is a much bulkier powder.

Get the "45" book by Taffin, the book covers all of the 45 calibers.
He lists working loads and the super loadings, like 454 & 460.
Worth every penny.

Yeah, Taffin's book is great. However, I go to it for the great articles and photos, not any load data.

Don

I am loading 250 gr Speer Deep Curl, for Freedom Arms El Malo. Not sure if that gun is rated "Strong", so I am deliberating on 9.2 gr of Unique. By the book, that appears safe enough. Will also compare with Bullseye.
Thanks for good advice.

I used Winchester 231 for .45 Colt, but the powder charge occupied so little of the case volume that I had concerns that powder shift would affect velocity consistency.

I never had any concerns about the tiny powder charge shifting and affecting velocity, or ignition (if you do, there are various "fillers" you can use). What always concerns me about the tiny charges of fast powder is the difficulty spotting an accidental double charge.

A double charge of Unique (or similar) fills the case nearly all the way up, and so, is easy to spot. Bullseye or 231 doesn't.

The old Lyman books, using Colt SAAs as test guns list max loads with 250gr lead bullets slightly over 10gr Unique. This is hotter than factory loads, but was safe in those test guns.

You're shooting a jacketed bullet, so things will be a bit different, just use safe reloading methods to work up to your desired goal, and, of course, if you get any pressure signs, STOP there, and back off a bit, and call it good.

I never had any concerns about the tiny powder charge shifting and affecting velocity, or ignition (if you do, there are various "fillers" you can use). What always concerns me about the tiny charges of fast powder is the difficulty spotting an accidental double charge.

That's why I recommend Red Dot. Not a dense powder, so the fill ratio is quite high.

Don

I used Winchester 231 for .45 Colt, but the powder charge occupied so little of the case volume that I had concerns that powder shift would affect velocity consistency.
That's why you test over a chronograph and find out for yourself to remove those concerns :) . I found W-231 to be 'acceptable'.

.45 Colt Ruger Blawkhawk 5 1/2"

7.0g W-231, 255g SWC, CCI-300, 843 fps, 15 SD, 54 ES, 15 shoots
7.5g W-231, 255g SWC, CCI-300, 898 fps, 13 SD, 43 ES, 15 shoots
8.0g W-231, 255g SWC, CCI-300, 948 fps, 14 SD, 43 ES, 15 shoots

I never had a concern on double charging because I dump powder, check the level (obvious where the level should be in the big case), and immediately cap with bullet, and set/crimp bullet with press. Move to next case... Single Stage press obviously.

Last edited:
Red Dot, Green Dot, Promo, and Unique work great in .45 Colt, and they are bulky powders that take up enough space. Herco is good for a little stronger loads if you have a stronger gun (like a post-war Colt, or anything made by Ruger including the small-frame Vaquero.)

If all I had was 231, I would use it. I have a friend who loads .45 Colt with 231. But I prefer something bulkier like the "dot" powders.

Blue Dot, 2400, and H-110 are good for .44 Magnum equivalent loads and slightly beyond if you have a Blackhawk, Contender, Freedom Arms, etc. I haven't tried AA#7 yet but it should be good too.

The bullet weight and cast or jacketed matters. So does the firearm. Hodgdon gives different data for regular handguns like an SAA and for Rugers.
Alliant gives data for Cowboy loads and not. Jacketed and cast 250 grain plus "regular" data isn't much different. No "heavy" 230 grains only for Cowboy loads.
"...it's really a guide..." No they aren't.
Pick your bullet weight plus cast or jacketed. Probably be an idea to decide what you plan on using the Colt for too. Then look for data for the powders you have. Considering the shortages.

I have a hankering for the 1873 Winchester/Miroku. Will that handle the heavy 45 Colt loads?

No. The Winchester Model 1873 is not a strong action. If you want a strong action in a lever gun, go with something based on the Winchester Model 1892 action.

Don

It appears from the internet a Freedom Arms "El Malo" is a colt replica, not the ultra strong revolver from Freedom Arms in Wyoming? If so would only use data for Colt replicas.

The Speer 250 "Deep Curl" appears to be what was previously called 250 GDHP. Both have same part # 4484. If memory holds, earlier Speer advertising had it expanding at colt replica velocity's. They have a pdf for replica colt loadings.

Could not resist the huge hollow point on this bullet and bought some when it was called a GDHP to try at moderate velocity's from Ruger BH. You tube testing into uncovered replica gel or water showed very good expansion at 760 fps. Another video showed very iffy expansion from short barrel. Highly unofficial personal testing showed iffy expansion till over 900 fps.

It seems the bullet is now guided toward more of a hunting bullet "deep curl", and don't know if they changed more than the name.

Now they call it a Deep Curl, which appear to be geared towards hunting.

Back