45 colt in IDPA

This is from my friend who's the director of IDPA in Canada, and closer to the source than I, posted on the official IDPA forum:

Since the addendum came out we have a ruling that allows the .45acp/.45LC/.454 Casull combo. The combination was just missed. I don't have Robert Ray's email but I am sure he will chime in here.

Take Care

Bob

So, it looks an addendum to the addendum allows interchangeability.

I apologize if this comes over as callous. It is not intended that way.

IDPA is not intended for this. The whole reason IDPA was created was for citizens and LE Personnel could test their carry equipment and defensive skills in a Real World Simulator. They don't want heavily-smithed guns or competitors tweaking equipment and loads for lower times and faster shooting; Simply For lower times and faster shooting. Sure, you'll always get those people. But they want you to use what you carry every day and see how you'll fair against varying real-world situations. Are you truly going to conceal-carry your 45 Colt? That's an honest question. I don't know anyone who would dream of it. Especially when there are so many other calibers with such higher capacity that are so much cheaper to shoot in much more convenient frames.

If you're considering smithing a 45 Colt for competition, I'd consider a competition circuit other than IDPA.

~LT

I'm not seeing how a .45 Colt revolver is any less practical to carry than a .45 ACP or 10mm revolver, and IDPA has a whole division written specifically for them. Heck, .380 pistols and J frame revolvers only get a half-baked afterthought of a division not even recognized at sanctioned matches.

An Observation

I shot IPSC for years. It was simple, bring what you carry (mostly revolvers back then). I was an alternative to NRA PPC. It was a Revolver world. Many of us thought NRA Practical Police Combat was far from the name. We would only load (5) rounds in a six shot revolver. Then some folks said NRA PPC wasn't Practical and IPSC was born. Initially there weren't multiple Classes/Divisions. Revolvers competed at the same time on the same courses as Semi-autos. In life if you're defending yourself with a 1911 and the BG has a J Frame S&W, and your 1911 doesn't "burp", and you put more lead on target than the BG you have a better chance than the BG. Early on the idea of Major/Minor became apparent. Power Factor was determined with Ballistic Pendulums. Then came the competitors who were "buying" skills. Some of the early competitors were sons of Custom shops. They didn't come to compete as much as market their shops weapons. Of course, there were competitors who "weaseled" the rules for the sake of winning. This became easily seen in a course of fire called " El Presidente" . The shooter was required to draw and fire 4 rds each into (3) targets. Then someone thought a 15rd 1911 magazine would make it faster. The fix....El Presidente now had an "Addendum" "with one reload". This was because either no one ever considered guys shooting Berettas or Mod. 59s or they wanted to level the playing field. Many of us who were competing to improve our Combat Skills, wondered who was going to "blow dead" the BG who had a Model 59 when we were carrying Revolvers and 1911s. Meanwhile, the rules were growing and it became more difficult for the Shooter who competes to exist in an environment dominated by Competitors who shoot.
Then there's USPSA (about the same era as IPSC). Sounds like history repeating itself. Just my Opinion.

IDPA courses of fire are short - often 6-12 rounds at our club - and that puts an even greater emphasis on gunhandling, such as draw speed, reloading speed, than is often the case in IPSC/IDPA. I shot my first match in Stock Service Revolver division (reloads with speedloaders), and my score was about double what even moderately skilled auto pistol shooters were doing. It is supposed to be competition, and if there's no allowance for multiple divisions, then you're not going to get a lot of shooters who accept the handicap of the revolver, you just won't get any revolver shooters. It was the same in IPSC/USPSA, fifteen years ago; the popularity of the sport was always going to be limited as long as equipment could trump shooting skill. While too many divisions will water-down competition (Single Stack division has just about killed the formerly popular Limited 10 in my area), I think it's the case that you have to have enough different divisions to encourage people to try.

It is supposed to be competition, and if there's no allowance for multiple divisions, then you're not going to get a lot of shooters who accept the handicap of the revolver, you just won't get any revolver shooters.

That's just it though, IDPA isn't meant to be a competition first and foremost. It was created and designed to be a weapon carrier's training tool to help hone your skills with the weapons you carry with you everyday. They have scoring systems because you've got to measure your proficiency some way. Putting people in order of performance and in different skill classes is intended to provide for a "ladder of success", not a "competition ground to win the match". The times and ranks for IDPA exist for the same reason the X-ring exists, to let you know when it's time to kick it up a notch and push yourself further.

I have to agree with 1911Rocks:
Many of us who were competing to improve our Combat Skills, wondered who was going to "blow dead" the BG who had a Model 59 when we were carrying Revolvers and 1911s. Meanwhile, the rules were growing and it became more difficult for the Shooter who competes to exist in an environment dominated by Competitors who shoot.
Then there's USPSA (about the same era as IPSC). Sounds like history repeating itself. Just my Opinion.

It's probably only a matter or time before "Competitors who shoot" are lobbying to relax the rules of IDPA to allow them to bring in their shopped pistols to blow away the stock-everyman that IDPA is intended for.

Honestly, if you regularly carry your .45 Colt concealed, then you belong with it in IDPA. If not, then please leave it at home and bring your carry weapon. If you don't carry a weapon, then please shoot at IPSC or USPSA competitions. There's a reason there isn't a "C" in the accronym.

~LT

Honestly, if you regularly carry your .45 Colt concealed, then you belong with it in IDPA. If not, then please leave it at home and bring your carry weapon. If you don't carry a weapon, then please shoot at IPSC or USPSA competitions. There's a reason there isn't a "C" in the accronym.

And what are people supposed to bring when their carry weapon is an LCP or something similar? IDPA can claim to be about shooting what you carry, but the fact is it's not carry weapon friendly. It's got two divisions written around fullsize 1911s and a division written for large frame moon clip fed revolvers while purpose built CCW weapons are lumped into an unofficial pseudo-division that isn't even recognized at sanctioned matches.

If weight were not a concern 45 auto rim would eject better and with 230's you could bet by with 550 fps...like we did with 45ACP before (and why) they created ESR.

45 long colt

"Are you truly going to conceal-carry your 45 Colt? That's an honest question. I don't know anyone who would dream of it."

I have been Carrying a 45LC Revolver Concealed for years in either a Belt or Shoulder Rig.
One of my Favorite Jacket Carry Guns is a 45LC Single Action Sheriff's Model carried in a Custom Holliday Shoulder Rig.

In Addition:Short Barrel 45LC Revolvers are Great IDPA Bug Match Guns.

Just curious LordTio3, what sport do you compete in and what gun do you shoot?

I've compete with IDPA in both Indiana and Ohio with sporadic regularity. And I bring my carry weapon, an almost-stock 4" Glock 19 9mm with night sights. When there are side matches for back-up guns, I'll shoot with a 5-shot SW 637 Chief's Special in .38spl.

~LT

I have been Carrying a 45LC Revolver Concealed for years in either a Belt or Shoulder Rig.
One of my Favorite Jacket Carry Guns is a 45LC Single Action Sheriff's Model carried in a Custom Holliday Shoulder Rig.

In Addition:Short Barrel 45LC Revolvers are Great IDPA Bug Match Guns.

Then by all means carry it to IDPA and do your thing. I have no problems with that. And my statement that I don't know anyone who would dream of carrying a .45 colt concealed, it was meant as just that; none of the people that I associate with would even consider it. They are more than happy with their own, albeit more modern, models.

No offense was meant to those who do happen to choose it for their own purposes. It's certainly proven itself as an effective chambering.

~LT

Back