45 colt and 2400 magnum powder

50kpsi data for the Redhawk has been published in Handloader, written by Brian Pearce. Find it and make friends with 296.
Five shot custom 45 Colts usually come with load data from the builder and yes, some of that approaches 454 pressures. So what gun did Pearce recommend these 50,000 PSI loads for? Surely not a six shot factory Ruger. Pearce is very careful and firearm-specific with his load data so, Link or PDF please.

People can, and do, reload safely above SAAMI specs. The Ruger big Blackhawks and RedHawks can take more than the old pressures for black powder era pistol frame .45 LC. So I try to help.
Sure and Linebaugh really did a lot of very useful testing in that area. His data contributed to the .45 Colt Ruger Only Loads today ... And those loads are fully documented in the reloading manuals and in Linebaugh's writings mentioned above. No need to 're-invent' the wheel or push that envelope as it has been 'pushed' already.

I am no recoil junky (I treasure my wrists and elbows), but if I was, the .454 would be in my stable. Beyond that is the .475 Linebaugh and the .500 .... But alas, the .45 Colt does everything I would ever need doing with easily handled six-guns.

One shop, maybe Linebaugh's, would chamber and mark revolvers for .454 Casull because that was the minimum for elk in one western state. But he said the overloaded .45 Colt was ample for any game.

Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
why don't you just get a 454 Casul?
i would never go THAT hot in a handgun, i've never experienced bullet walking, and i dont intend to

I'm thinking that the load you are considering, probably is that hot.
The question posed by Nanuk is worthy of consideration....
An even better idea is to back off on the powder to reliable published loads and let the 45 Colt be what it is.

Everyone discussing over-book loads, please read the sticky you are required to read before posting such information. It is here.

Hammer Jockey 91, I have put the required warning into the OP for you, but please pay attention to the rules in the future.

I would never use a load i found online . I would go to a good manual and see the real load . People are not all good people some will lie to see if you fall for it
I still have my A.B.C, a book everyone should read before loading the first round .

So you wouldn't trust data from a gun powder manufacture because it came from their website?

I a have printouts I've saved from Alliant, Hodegon/IMR and Hornady stacked up in my gun room... I'm not saying I think over book loads are a good idea but I think it's a good idea to check a couple or more books for a load if it's for a round I've never loaded before. Sometimes the books are a little wonky.

Tony

So you wouldn't trust data from a gun powder manufacture because it came from their website?
Speaking for me, No. I need at least another reference or two before I would 'trust' a load for a powder. Never trust a single source. Really it is common sense loading practice. And it doesn't have to be a book. Could be a magazine article. Take the Skeeter .44 Special load. I use it for most of my .44 Special revolvers. Taffin references it in his writing, Brian Pearce, and others have used it... So doesn't have to be 'in the book' ... But it does have to have multiple sources... And of course your own judgement to use or not use in your revolver.... Research is key. Again, never 'just one source' especially the internet...

Last edited:
I have a lot of Ed Harris loading information saved from the old Fidonet days. I consider it as good or better than anything in a published load book...

Tony

Everyone discussing over-book loads, please read the sticky you are required to read before posting such information. It is here.

Hammer Jockey 91, I have put the required warning into the OP for you, but please pay attention to the rules in the future.
it won't happen again. i am relitively new to this forum, so i am still feeling it out.

I have the Redhawk's in 41, 44, and 45C and can attest they are built like tanks. That said even a tank can be destroyed.

I've run some smoking loads through them all but ALWAYS worked up from listed book data either from the bullet or powder manufacturer.

My personal loads for my 45C use the Linebaugh HS-6 load for 250-280gr cast bullets that I pour, and were all worked up slowly. If or when I feel the need to go nuclear, I can use either of my 454's. Loaded with a 300gr WFN to around 1600fps is plenty of giddy up and go for me.

Back