45 colt and 2400 magnum powder

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

i finally replenished my aliant 2400 powder. i wanted to make some more 45colt plus p rounds for my ruger redhawk model 50/50. now typically what i would use was 20 grains of 2400 and a 230 grain bullet. but i vaguely rememebr a friend of mine telling me that he read my specific gun (which i guess can handle up to 50,000 psi) can handle a steady diet of 25 grains without any issues. i can't remember which friend, i know i met them on a facebook reloading group page. but i wanted to run it by the older and wiser reloaders on here. how hot could i load 250 grain copper plated flat nose with 2400?

two uses for these rounds for me, one, i am a recoil junkie. and two, its good to have large game defensive ammunition laying around.
in case of bear attacks. or to kill a car :D

Good luck....Quick Load shows a 250 gr RNFP with 25 gr of 2400 producing 44,000+ lbs. of pressure...velocity was 1534 from a 5.5" bbl. Not a load I'd be interested in.

Sierra's Infinity program lists 20.3 gr of 2400 with their 240 gr JHP for 1100 fps. That's listed for Ruger Freedom Arms etc. Gun tested was a Ruger Blackhawk with a 7-1/2" bbl.

Last edited:
I’ve never been one to load above tested published load data. Highest pressure I’ve seen in 45c is 30,000 psi. There are more things that come into play than gun strength, brass being one of them primers another. I’m sure your Redhawk can handle the pressure, but I don’t know about the other components. I’ve not loaded the 45c above the 30k, but I do load some 327s to near max which is well above 30k and load data calls for a small RIFLE primer due to the high pressure. Like rodfac says if you do try it, good luck.

In my younger years I too was a recoil junkie and a 30k load in a Blackhawk and a Vaqureo scratched that itch very well. Now being in my ginger years the tier II loads scratch that itch well enough.

Last edited:
i vaguely rememebr a friend of mine telling me that he read my specific gun (which i guess can handle up to 50,000 psi) can handle a steady diet of 25 grains without any issues. i can't remember which friend, i know i met them on a facebook reloading group page.

That is just scary. "Vaguely" "guess" "can't remember" "Facebook."

And why a 230 grain bullet? Are you loading ACP bullets in LC? Or have an odd size mold?

Sounds like you are wanting to go into uncharted waters here....
You are on your own with this.
You should be single, without children, or have a really good life insurance policy for those that are dependant upon you.

These is talk that a Redhawk is as sturdy as an old (Ruger only) Blackhawk.

A Blackhawk is commonly loaded to “Ruger Only” levels in .45 LC but that’s now a scary proposition as some Ruger single actions are now “light weight like a Colt” and can’t take the wildcat load.

People reckon a Redhawk comes in .44 Magnum, the holes about the same size, they “should” handle the same pressures. Ruger will not confirm they use the same steel. Steel is not steel, treatments are not trivial, nor is QC.

Some people figure custom gunsmiths have mage big bore RedHawks in the past. The reasoning goes “not knowing what they did, it must be safe.” Not to my mind.

My recommended load is 17.5 g 2400 under 255 g Semiwadcutters. I’ve run as high as 21 g. In a Blackhawk. This is for Contenders or old strong blackhawks. 22 is what the Lyman reloading manual says is Contender Only for 250g. XTPs.

Metal fatigues when overstressed, it gets weak and breaks. Unstressed, it stays strong. What you can pull off for a short time may not yet result in an blown cylinder.

You need a big bore hand cannon. Don’t wreck your redhawks!

Last edited:
stinkypete said:
People reckon a Redhawk comes in .44 Magnum, the holes about the same size, they “should” handle the same pressures. Ruger will not confirm they use the same steel. Steel is not steel, treatments are not trivial, nor is QC.
"About the same" is not equal to "the same."

.44 Magnum SAAMI chamber bore is .4598 at the case head and .4580 at the case mouth. .45 Colt chamber bore is .4862 at the case head and .4800 at the case mouth. Since I believe both models use the same diameter cylinder, the larger chambers in .45 Colt obviously mean that the thinnest part of the cylinder walls is thinner.

John Linebaugh recommends against 2400 at max levels in the 45 Colt. It can jump in pressure with very small incremental increases. H110/W296 are the powders for max 45 Colt loads. But they work best with heavier bullets and firm crimps to help the burn rate. If you want recoil, the heavier bullets will give you the "kicks" you are looking for!

That is just scary. "Vaguely" "guess" "can't remember" "Facebook."

And why a 230 grain bullet? Are you loading ACP bullets in LC? Or have an odd size mold?
lol yeah no i found it. my not fully remembering or trusting it is why i asked on here. the recipe was 250 grain copper jacketed with 22 grains of 2400, not 25. he sent me a picture of the page of the manual he got it out of, i can post it if you'd like

as to why the 230 grain bullet, it was my first reload adventure. the rounds were pretty stout, good for what i wanted them for. should be noted, my redhawk is a 45acp and 45 colt model 5050. so chances are past hammer jockey wanted to get a versatile bullet

I'm using 230 grains round nose 45 ACP bullets for my 45 Colt. But I don't go above 1000 fps, in my case I don't need more than that.

I really do not need a Facebook friend i have manuals to show a safe way to reload . I have seen Rugers come apart not good .

I really do not need a Facebook friend i have manuals to show a safe way to reload.

Maybe a little snarky but it's good advice that I think is sincerely meant and that I would endorse.

P.S. I will NOT tell folk my loading recipes because my sausage fat fingers or my sausage fat brain could make a mistake. I also won't use load data, I find on these forums without checking it out with one of my bound book loading manuals.

People can, and do, reload safely above SAAMI specs. The Ruger big Blackhawks and RedHawks can take more than the old pressures for black powder era pistol frame .45 LC. So I try to help.

Don’t push the load above what the OP stated. Really!

The bigger booms... should use a slower powder. I used H110. Now, I would use 17.5 g 2400 because I have learned that shot placement totally overpowers any ammunition superiority and it’s nice shooting and easy on man and iron. But if you gotta rock it, rock it carefully and with scads of data and carefully building up, testing carefully the whole way up. Don’t push 2400 too hard.

Back