45 ACP VS 40 SW Recoil Question

I like the .45 recoil (M1911, 185g - 200g bullets). It's kind of a push, as opposed to a snap. The recoil is plenty strong enough to let you know that you just let go of something powerful, yet still manageable. Quite probably my favorite gun to shoot.

'40's are actually more manageable but snappier. I'm less of a fan.

10mm <-- Now THERE's some recoil :-)

After 9mm, .40 is my second choice in pistol calibers. It's a great round, with a lot going for it.

One of the considerations, as has been referenced, is the difference in typical platforms for the .40 vs .45. The .45 is often launched from a larger, heavier firearm. That can help. On the other hand, I find the .45 much more enjoyable and pleasant to shoot from a subcompact.

As much as I like the .40, I would not carry it in anything less than a service style pistol. Even in those, I won't carry it in a launcher that makes it a markedly less controllable round than 9mm. I'm not about to sacrifice speed for diameter. The Sig 229/226 is a great launcher for the .40. You'll be well served with that, given proper technique.

Years back I bought, and then sold, 2 different .40S&Ws made by Glock. I did not like the recoil nor the grip angle. Together they made me swear off the .40S&W cartridge. A few years ago I bought the CZ PCR because I liked how it fit my hand. It is a 9mm and the grip and slide inside the frame made it a soft shooter and accurate sucker. It is still my favorite 9mm today. When I had a chance to buy a CZ40P (similar to the PCR but in .40S&W) I jumped at it and fell in love with the .40S&W cartridge, which I hated until then.

To me, the .40S&W is much snappier than the .45ACP but if you stick with the 180gr bullets, it feels closer to the push a .45ACP gives, which I prefer. I feel the pressure of the .40S&W is what makes it snappy while the big and slow .45ACP (in 230gr) in a larger pistol makes it a joy to shoot.

How about in 165 Grain,would the still have a snappy recoil?
Thanks.

In factory loads? Yes, even more so than factory 180 gr loads. The only way that you can make a .40 recoil less 'snappy' is to hand load. And even then, if you want it to be reliable without modifying the recoil springs you will have a little more 'snap' than from a 9mm or .45

Before I rebought my Taurus PT145 (I've gone back to this gun 3 times now for carry) I bought a Taurus PT140 because I found that 40 components were easier to get at the time. Same gun, different calibers. I kept the 40 for about 3 weeks, 4 range trips. Definitely a snappier recoil than the 45 I was used to, not more severe but more bothersome.

For me owning both for some reason the 45 is much controllable then the 40.Not saying the 40 isnt great is just seems a little more snappier than a 45.
But thats just me.

I have a 229 and an xd40, both shoot 180 gn reloads. I just don't see that much difference in the recoil. I like the XD mainly because the trigger pull for the first shot is a littler easier than the Sig. But after that they're both about the same.
I also shoot an XD .45 GAP, It's a lot easier to shoot, mainly because it's a heavier gun with a longer barrel.

Last edited:
In response to post #17

I guess it would be even harder to find a P229/40 Enhanced Elite, which has a smaller grip circumference.

My Enhanced Elite grip sure feels a lot smaller than my P220 in .45.

Just curious: How is gun ownership/licensing in the Philippines after that Marcos regime?

Cheers :)

It's subjective. Gun weight, springs, etc. are all factors. To me 45s are a slower, but solid "shove" and 40 are quick punch.

It certainly appears to be a subjective issue.

All my .45ACP experience is with 1911s: Maybe 10 or 12 steel and half a dozen alloy guns. Never found recoil in any of the .45s to be noticeable while shooting (that is, I don't notice the recoil at all while firing but I can recall and judge that they felt, mostly, mild). I cannot recall any discernible difference between steel 5” guns and alloy 3” guns and never felt distracted by either the noise or recoil.

My .40 caliber experience is quite limited. Three examples: Glock (Don’t know the model number, a compact police department gun), Star M40 (all steel and HEAVY for its diminutive size) and Sig-Sauer P239 SAS DAK (gorgeous gun and softest-shooting of the three). Didn’t like the .40 much at all; found the recoil to be significantly distracting and, for whatever reason, was not able to hit consistently with the .40. So, my experience with .40 is, and will remain, limited.

W.

Gun ownership in the Philippines is a bit easier now as compared during the time of Marcos,although,nowadays,it's so hard to apply for a permit to carry.A lot of requirements and you need one per gun.There also a permit to transport and this only for transporting your gun from your home to the range and back.You have to renew it every 3 months and you also need one per gun.Quite hard also to apply for one.

My G22 is surly snappier than my 1911 Commander. However, I'm a much better shot with my G22, but follow ups are slightly quicker with my 1911.

The recoil is VERY similar in equal weight pistols. a 200 grain .40 @ 1050 has about .23 ft/lbs more recoil than .45 acp 230 grain @ 900 fps. The recoil velocity, and recoil impulse are very similar.

Some of these guys must be recoil sensing ninjas. 230 grain .45 out of an all stainless 1911, and 180 grain .40 out of stainless Beretta 96 is almost identical. Or so darn close, I sure can't tell. I can HEAR a difference, but sure can't feel one. Now the .40 out of the PX4 storm, I can feel a difference, kicks like a 9mm. Very light and comfortable.

Back