.45 ACP sights

Using a cinder block (2 openings) and wrapping the slide in a protective towel and then using a C clamp to secure the whole setup and several WHACKS with a heavy ,bead breaker hammer, I got my series 70 govt ..exactly.. right.
For MY eyes and MY hold.
The steel pusher rod made a few white tiny marks on the sight that covered nicely with less than a drop of cold blue.

Your results may differ. :)

I took it to the gunshop 25 miles away where the gunsmith works. He was not present, but I left the pistol, target assessment (done above), and recommendation received herein for movement of 1.0mm to the right. I'll report back when I hear from him.

I suggest the OP get someone who knows 1911s to shoot it to see if he can duplicate the problem. I had this problem for awhile until I learned the proper way to hold it and pull the trigger.

Kevin, I appreciate your post and suggestion but recognize that I have previously stated that I have examined several methods of holding that do not achieve the desired results.
What I noted during these exercises is how less than comfortable are the methods alternate to my particular approach. I have a 1911-.380 Auto, a Ruger LC9 and a Walther 9mm (the model does not come to mind as I type this), and my holding method does not create the same disappointment. The same true with revolvers ranging from .22 to .454 Casull.
Did you review the series of handloads and results that I posted above? 5 different handloads from 15 yards all averaged 3 inches to the left; 4 loads from 7 yards were all to the left, but less than 3".

Not meaning to be sarcastic, but have you considered the possibility that the gun might be slightly "bent"???

This is not as disastrous as it might seem, if the gun is consistent and accurate, the sights can be moved so it still "shoots straight".

And, "bent" could be actually bent or might be something bored (or assembled) just enough out of line with the centerline (and sights) to land everything to the left.

Get the sight moved, and please let us know the results. I'm curious to see if moving the sight the calculated amount moves your POI the needed amount. IT should, but the real world doesn't always behave the way calculations say it should.

Good Luck!

Just got back. He moved the sight and I had included the calculation I received here in FL. He fired 6 rounds at 21 feet after the adjustment and all are in the center of the target.
Now I have to shoot it to confirm. I have a Crimson Trace red laser on the pistol and before I dropped it off the laser hit the wall to the left of center and it was right over the left rear sight dot. It is now in the center of the rear sight, right above the front sight.

Total cost: $37.10. No special charge for the use of his indoor range and no charge for the ammo used (unless it's buried in the $37.10, but still, that's a lot different than the other local gun shop proposed).

^^Yes, Bamaranger, 5 days. It was a 50-mile round trip, but worth it. There is another gunshop in the area run by a gunsmith and his wife and prices and deals are attractive enough that you need to stand in line for up to an hour before they get to you. I had a Winchester 101 20-GA shotgun that got a bath when a dehumidifier fluid spilled in the safe and completely corroded the gun with a white precipitate such that it wouldn't open. I had to wait 6 months before this guy returned it and even then the auto-eject wouldn't work on one side. Fortunately, I was able to disassemble it and fix it myself.

Back