45 ACP shooters, do you know/care about 45 Super and .450 SMC?

Ejection distance is also a function of what recoil spring is in the gun. In the 1911 world (and, I assume, for other pistols as well), you select the recoil spring the ejects the empty cases between 6 and 12 feet from the shooter. If the cases are barely falling out of the ejection port (or stovepiping), the recoil spring is too heavy. If the empties are flying 20 feet, the spring is too light.

This is why Colt ships Gold Cups with two recoil springs. One is for normal power ammunition, the other is for light target loads.

I think chamber pressure, and ejection distance, are both measures of "how hard" a gun is working.

Fair enough, in a general sense, though they are different things and chamber pressure is essentially irrelevant until you exceed the safety limits of the cartridge or the gun.

Ejection distance using a standing fixed ejector is entirely dependent on slide/bolt velocity. The faster it comes back, the further it kicks the empties.

Whether or not that is working the gun "too hard" depends on the gun design.

Running in the upper end of the designed operating range is still within the designed operating range.

I'd say a 1911 ejecting cases 20+ feet, is working harder than one ejecting 6-8 feet; agreed?

The gun ejecting cases 20+ feet has the higher slide velocity, impacting the frame harder, and excessive slide velocity is believed to contribute to frame battering?

Or, a 10mm with 25# mainspring and 24# recoil spring, which ejects cases 20+ feet, is working harder than a .45 Super, with the same springs, ejecting cases 6-8 feet?

A lot of people think a 10mm must have a fully-supported chamber to shoot "real" 10mm, lest they blow a case head, but even full-power .45 Super (230 grains at measured 1190fps max, 1175 avg.), shot in my unsupported .45 ACP chamber, shows no unusual case expansion or other pressure signs.
The gun isn't working hard, the brass isn't working hard.

I'd say a 1911 ejecting cases 20+ feet, is working harder than one ejecting 6-8 feet; agreed?

The gun ejecting cases 20+ feet has the higher slide velocity, impacting the frame harder, and excessive slide velocity is believed to contribute to frame battering?

Or, a 10mm with 25# mainspring and 24# recoil spring, which ejects cases 20+ feet, is working harder than a .45 Super, with the same springs, ejecting cases 6-8 feet?

A lot of people think a 10mm must have a fully-supported chamber to shoot "real" 10mm, lest they blow a case head, but even full-power .45 Super (230 grains at measured 1190fps max, 1175 avg.), shot in my unsupported .45 ACP chamber, shows no unusual case expansion or other pressure signs.

The surfaces of a 1911 you are concerned about "battering" at the end of the slide's rearward journey were designed for it.They do OK.
Remember its all dollied up by your hand.Semi-squishy.

Yes,slide velocity matters.Aside from details like firing pin stop radius,mainspring,porting,comp,etc its not directly about pressure (the 9mm pressure vs 45 pressure comment)

Its a recoil operated gun. Generally,the 9mm is less recoil. Think about the barrel link down . The Chamber end of the barrel dropping. When does the bullet exit the muzzle vs link down? Pressure drops quick after bullet exit.
Pressure plays a part in the physics of recoil,but slide velocity is launched by recoil.

Slide velocity does play its part in ejection distance.Thats true. Extractor tension and the length and bevels on the ejector play a role,too.

If battering the gun is a concern,IMO, a 24 lb spring is not the answer. Its forward slide velocity that batters the gun,
They call it "Slide stop" for a reason. The buck stops when the feet of the barrel underlug come to rest on the slide stop pin,which transfers the energy to those two .201 dia holes in the frame. That fitup is where a great deal of getting a 1911 correct lies. Beating it with a 24 lb spring is counter productive.

What I have worked out for myself (you may disagree) if I want to load "warm" I'll put in an 18 lb spring. When putting 1 round in the mag I want the load just hot enough to hold the slide back on the last round, the ammo is as hot as I want to run it. I switch to a 16lb spring for reliability. I might chrono the load for curiosity,but I load for the gun.not the chrono. A 16 b spring is in the ballpark of the John Moses design. If its 850 fps or 1050 fps,I don't care. Its balanced to function with a 16 lb spring.

I.ve mentioned this gun before, We have a Ben Jones /Guncraft single stack 38 Super race gun in the family. It was the gun of a pro competitor. It shot high round count ,1400 fps 38 Super Old School Major loads that are around 40k psi. After 40+ years its tight,slick,and sweet. Not beat up at all.

Little brother brought home high speed industrial camera to determine what recoil spring worked best with the comp. That gun shoots flat,sweet,and reliable at 1400 fps with a 124 gr bullet and Power Pistol using a 12 lb recoil spring.

As I understand the 45 Super case, the main idea was to thicken the web area to cover the unsupported part of the chamber. It was designed for unramped,unsupported chambers. So long as efforts with unlicensed Dremels don't "blend and polish" the chamber support away,it should work fine.

Look at a "cone breech" bolt gun like a Springfield or Win M-70. You could say there is quite a bit of "unsupported chamber" Case web design makes it possible.

Last edited:
Another factor with .45 Super is a similar issue that 10mm suffers from and that's hollow points meant for the slower, lower pressure cartridges (.40 S&W, .45 ACP) are meant to expand at those lower velocities
Not necessarily.

You need to be specific about which JHPs you mean. The 10mm was introduced in 1983, well before the .40S&W in 1990. There were any number of 10mm 170gn/175gn, 180gn and 200gn JHPs made to expand @ "Norma-level" 10mm velocities, i.e., full-power for the particular bullet-weight: 170/175gns @ 1300fps; 200gns @ 1150fps+ --> 1200fps.

Hornady created its 10mm XTP-HP before the .40 was invented. The XTP-HP is designed to expand at real 10mm velocities. Back then, for example, Hornady loaded its 200gn 10mm XTP ammo to 1180fps. This was before the "watering-down" trend in 10mm ammo spread through the industry after the .40S&W became a thing. :rolleyes:

Similarly, Winchester designed it 175gn 10mm STHP to expand @ 1290fps, and those early lots of STHPs were quite hot, some chronographing consistently over 1300fps. The real problem with the STHPs is that while they were excellent expanders, they were poor penetrators when intermediate barriers were encountered.

The XTPs, on the other hand, are great penetrators, and the 10mm flavors (155gn, 180gn, 200gn) definitely expand better at speed.

This is also my experience with 450 SMC out of my Glock 21 with 24# recoil spring.

RickB said:

If the empties are traveling 20+ feet, the slide has more velocity, and thus more energy, when it impacts the frame and stops. Does that contribute to "frame battering" (whatever that is)? Doubtful. What -- exactly -- happens when the slide stops its rearward travel? The aft face of the slide's recoil spring tunnel impacts the flange of the recoil spring guide, which is in intimate contact with the frame abutment surface of the frame. Since virtually no collision is entirely inelastic, each time this happens the recoil spring flange is compressed slightly -- as are the affected surfaces of the slide and the frame. But these are the surfaces that were designed for this impact.

A 1911 guru (who used to post here somewhat frequently) who goes by the handle 1911Tuner has fired some of his 1911s with NO recoil spring and incurred no damage to the pistol. Tuner often reminds people that the Browning patent for the M1911 did not call that spring in the front of the pistol a "recoil" spring. JMB called it the "action" spring. As has been pointed out a few posts above, the primary function of this spring is not to absorb recoil but to return the slide to battery and to load the next round.

Has anyone EVER heard of a 1911 that broke due to frame battering? I haven't. But military 1911s and early commercial pistols have been known to suffer slide fractures at the point where the recoil spring tunnel impacts the recoil spring flange. Here's an example:
05.jpg

Here's a link to a more dramatic case:
https://concealednation.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Image00002.jpg

What's more likely to cause problems in a 1911 is using too powerful a recoil spring. A stronger spring slams the slide forward with more force. What stops the slides forward motion? The slide stops when those two little feet on the bottom of the barrel underlug contact that little 0.2" slide stop pin. Over-springing a 1911 has resulted in cases of fractured slide stop pins and sheared off barrel feet.

I personaly think the .45 super is a neat idea but it is not for me. My .45 is a range toy for the most part. I don't need 1200 fps to punch holes in cardboard.

If I do want a 240 grain bullet at that velocity I reach for my Redhawk .44 magnum. It weighs nearly a pound more and makes the recoil much more manageable.

A gun like the HK USP is attractive for being able to handle such loads but like I said, I just don't have a use for them.

As I understand the 45 Super case, the main idea was to thicken the web area to cover the unsupported part of the chamber. It was designed for unramped,unsupported chambers. So long as efforts with unlicensed Dremels don't "blend and polish" the chamber support away,it should work fine.

When doing my load development, in .2-grains steps, there was no more than a thousandth or two difference in case diameter, just forward of the extractor groove, between starting load and max.

I've weighed cases, empty and filled with water, and found no real correlation between capacity and implied case strength. Some .45 ACP cases have lower internal volume than Starline .45 Super cases.
I've heard/read in a few places that the Super cases are thicker, but I think any additional strength, compared to .45 ACP, comes from the material itself; either a different alloy, or perhaps heat treatment.

If I wanted something to do more than the .45ACP I would move to the .45 Win Mag, not .45 Super because then I wouldn't have to worry about beating up a pistol at all.

Has anyone EVER heard of a 1911 that broke due to frame battering?

I've seen pics of frames that cracked where the dust cover transitions to the thicker area of the frame supporting the slide stop and containing the abutment which the slide impacts; don't remember if it was a really high volume gun, or a gun that had been shot with hot loads.
Interestingly, I've heard some claim that using a shock buff will cause or hasten that kind of damage, as on impact, the expanding buff "has to go somewhere", and places outward pressure on the frame.

That said, there are/were M1911A1s with documented round counts over one million, so the frame is plenty strong for its INTENDED use.

I've heard/read in a few places that the Super cases are thicker, but I think any additional strength, compared to .45 ACP, comes from the material itself; either a different alloy, or perhaps heat treatment.

No need to guess. The information is on Starline's website.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/45-super-brass

45 Super* is the same externally as the 45 Auto, but has a thicker web, denser grain structure in the metal, and special heat treat process that enhances the durability of the case. Similar internal capacity as the 45 Auto. Some 45 Super load data was published by Triton Cartridge before they went out of business. *Loads to be shot ONLY in guns modified professionally to handle extreme pressures of this cartridge. DO NOT SHOOT IN STANDARD 45 AUTO!

74A95 said:
Aguila Blanca said:
Has anyone EVER heard of a 1911 that broke due to frame battering?
Yes, an acquaintance's 1911 broke just like the one in your extreme example link. It was also a Springfield Armory.
I must be missing something. I posted a link to a photo of a Springfield with a broken slide. How does that serve as evidence of frame battering?

On the subject of reliable JHP expansion or otherwise fragmentation occuring at high velocity, (1200fps) I can say only this... First of all, who cares? Honestly, does anyone actually carry loads that powerful for self-defense against bipedal predators? To me, full-power 10mm Auto and by extension .45 Super is for defense against large predatory animals like Bears, not humans, and solid bullets are typically preferred for that role.

Also, I'm not sure where the whole "230gr @ 1200fps" statistic is coming from. Seriously, factory loaded .45 Super tends to be "230gr @ 1100fps" and .450 SMC is "230gr @ 1150fps" at least looking at Buffalo Bore and Double Tap's loads. So 230gr @ 1200fps is a bit fast for .45 Super.

ballardw said:
If I wanted something to do more than the .45ACP I would move to the .45 Win Mag, not .45 Super because then I wouldn't have to worry about beating up a pistol at all.

Are there any semiautomatic pistols chambered in .45 WinMag in current production? Honestly, to the best of my knowledge, the only pistols chambered in .45 WinMag have been out of production for over 20 years, weren't especially popular, and command a high premium these days.

If the LAR Grizzly or even the AMT Automag were still in production, then I would be all over them, but they aren't, and as far as I know they weren't exactly shot frequently, so even if I were to find an old one for a good price, then I would have a gun that I really can't be sure how long it would hold up to .45 WinMag before something breaks, and when/if something does break, then I'd have to hunt down replacement parts which may be equally as expensive and as hard to come by as the pistol itself to scale.

So yeah, I like the H&K USP45 Elite because it can shoot both ordinary .45 ACP and .45 Super, has a proven track record for durability, and replacement parts are still in production even if something breaks.
No, it's not capable of shooting a cartridge anywhere near as powerful as .45 WinMag, (not without extensive aftermarket modifications anyway) but then again, I really don't need it to anyway.

I must be missing something. I posted a link to a photo of a Springfield with a broken slide. How does that serve as evidence of frame battering?

Then I must be missing something. Why did you post a cracked slide and the broken slide in the first place? Neither are frames.

74A95 said:
Then I must be missing something. Why did you post a cracked slide and the broken slide in the first place? Neither are frames.
That's correct. I posted those to refute the notion that "frame battering" is a common mode of failure in 1911 pistols. Slide fractures (such as illustrated in those photos) are far more common -- yet far from being an everyday occurrence.

Stress cracks on frames are also rare, but have been reported.

https://www.msgo.com/threads/1911-fix-it-or-return-it.109103/

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/8727900

https://forum.ltwguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8365

https://www.m1911.org/technic24.htm

The Colt 10mm guns were known to have cracked at the slide stop window, so Colt changed the shape of the window and that seems to have fixed it.

Apparently Colt had issues with their first rail guns, but I think was traced back to manufacturing issues.

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/colt-railgun-stress-cracks.376029/

Back