.45 ACP +P??

.45 ACP +P Maximum is right at 10% higher pressure than standard maximum.
There was an old rule of thumb that for SMALL CHANGES you got about half the increase in pressure out as velocity. So +10% pressure = +5% velocity at best. Vihtavouri said more like 4%.
From what I'm seeing with commercial .45 +P the velocity gain is close to 100 fps more in a 5 inch barrel, which is a lot closer to 10% than 4 or 5 percent.

In the case of 9mm +P, that 4-5 percent velocity increase is spot on.

Depends on the brand. Choice of powder or how closely they push the maximum?
From Lucky Gunner, chronographed velocity, not catalog.
Hornady 200 gr XTP Std to +P = 102 fps
Remington 185 HTP Std to GS +P = 85 fps
but
Federal 230 HST Std to +P = 22 fps
Winchester 230 Ranger T Std to + P = 4 fps!

Depends on the brand. Choice of powder or how closely they push the maximum?
From Lucky Gunner, chronographed velocity, not catalog.
Hornady 200 gr XTP Std to +P = 102 fps
Remington 185 HTP Std to GS +P = 85 fps
but
Federal 230 HST Std to +P = 22 fps
Winchester 230 Ranger T Std to + P = 4 fps!
How do we know what pressure one company is loading their .45+P ammo to vs another? From the way it looks, Hornady and Remington are loading to full SAAMI spec +P, but Federal and Winchester are not.

Federal is well known for loading supposedly hot semi auto calibers lower than others, i.e 10mm.

Most online sellers include specs like fps. If they do not, I send them feedback that they need to.
An alternate source is the makers catalog info. You can also email the maker.

Great, your Starline cases are rated for +P.
But is your SW1911?
Typically it is stamped on the barrel for the rating.
If it's not stamped +P, i wouldn't do it.
Plus there is no genuine NEED for +P in the 45ACP. So why increase your recoil, and make it harder for a follow up shot if needed?

Same reason why i, and others have gotten away from 40 S&W.

I REALLY like my 1911 guns and don't want to subject them to +P loads and as others have mentioned I don't think they are necessary.

I admit I'm not totally rational about this...I am really captivated by the 10mm cartridge but have decided for me not to subject a 1911 to the round. If and when I get one it'll be a Glock 20 (since I just flat out wouldn't care about a Glock as much as I would a fine 1911).

P.S. Swifty Morgan post #13----stuff like this is why I REALLY like this site.

Back