45 ACP +P & Universal

Back to the load I removed above, using CFEPistol, the load is and was correct, and sourced for LSWC 200 gr. on HDC.
Careful reading of Berrys Note below does not indicate a need for similar bullet construction, and specifically, cast, plated and jacketed bullet data can be used for Berrys bullets, as long as the weight is the same. Apply your judgement and work up, but it is within their guidance.
Cartridge Weight Velocity Energy in Foot lbs
45 ACP 200 1142 579 CFE Pistol therefore is correct at max load of 8.2 grains, as published https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center.

Berrys https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq
"Load data from any load manual or website can be used. Full-metal jacketed, lead bullet, or plated bullet load data can be used as long as the following standards are adhered to:
The data contains the correct grain weight of bullet.
Berry's max recommended velocity is not exceeded. (This info is displayed on bullet boxes and product webpages.)
Standard Plate Bullets Max Velocity: 1,250 fps.
Thick-Plate Bullets (TP) Max Velocity: 1,500 fps.
Do not over-crimp the bullet. Crimping so tight that bullet deformation occurs, or plating is separated causing visible exposure of the lead core will cause tumbling, key-holing, and reduced accuracy."

MARCO: Your Speer Online Data for the 45ACP/230/GDHP listed above for Universal: (917fps)
https://reloadingdata.speer.com/down...c_230_GDHP.pdf
What barrel length was cited for those velocities?

I ask because I'm sitting here looking at Speer#14/p974 for that same load (UNIV/6.0gr)
and not seeing velocities even close to that listed
(in fact H.UNIV/6.0gr yields only 806fps)

I had to pull the copyrighted material. The Speer book used a 4.4" barrel Sig P220, but I don't know about the online data.

Between QuickLOAD and Gordon's Reloading Tool, we found two extremely different models of Universal that produce very different results. So I am wondering if there are not simply some significantly different lots out there. This was a reported problem with Varget for a while in the 1990s.

FWIW:

In search of that illusive 900fps++ 45ACP load with a standard 230gr/5"/1911, I also found significant disparity
between Hodgdon and Hornady sources -- both using the same 230gr Hornady FMJ-FP bullet, same OAL of 1.20"

SOURCE MANUALS for LONGSHOT
Hodgdon On-line: Max 6.8gr / 908fps / 17,200 CUP
Hornady 9th Edn: Max 7.4gr / 900fps / Pressure (n/a)

LABRADAR using Berry's 230gr HP-Hybrid (effectively same bullet design) @ OAL 1.210"
ACTUAL: Longshot/6.8gr: 845fps

Note: Quickload Ba=default 2.5 --> 807fps (Starline Case capacity of 26.gr H2O)
Adjust QL(Ba from 2.5 =>2.69) to match above velocity; and . . .
reCalculate for Hornady 7.4gr --> to predict 910fps

ACTUAL: Longshot/7.4gr: 905fps

We definitely have something not quite right/the same between the two manuals.

Last edited:
Mehavey, did you notice muzzle flash using Longshot? I have a pound but have not loaded any yet. Longshot is perfect powder for 40SW.
Hornady is conservative with the load data they publish. I haveLyman 50, and they are also conservative. I like Lyman for cast bullet COAL, but not the load data.
Speer online data is my best source for faster loads.

Daylight firing, Marco.
But nothing remarkable.
Adjusted/corrected/QL says 91%+ burn in that 5" barrel ~ 17,500psi

The problem with Speer Online is that we have no idea of the barrel used.
Note that the 917fps listed for 6.0gr Universal would necessarily require a 6-7" barrel.
(and it disagrees w/ the their book.)

`tis a puzzlement.`

Last edited:
Sorry to pop in after everyone's finished eating...but a I missing something.

This entire thread is about 45 Auto rounds...and suddenly, there's a picture of a 45 Long Colt bullet with load data and before and after bullet weights. Did the subject change somewhere? I read every post...but I may have missed something.

One cannot use 45 Auto data and 45 LC data interchangeably.

Forgive me if I err!

Post#12 was looking only at the expansion factor of a 250gr/45/pure lead
bullet going at the sought-after 900++ fps velocity. Using 45 Colt was easiest to
use for that purpose given 45ACP/Universal at that speed was ..."problematic"

Bullets arriving don't care how they start.
Only how they end up.
;)

Back