.45 ACP Only Works in One Pistol

...quick tool for quick measurements
which is precisely what you needed, and needed to use, and accurate/repeatable to 3(+) decimal places.

You don't need any more gauges for ammunition purposes.

Dial calipers are adequate for most reloading purposes. Don't believe me? Compare the readings with a micrometer. The readings will be awfully close. I have both tools and usually use the calipers after comparing them.

I have four dial calipers, one digital caliper, an analog micrometer and a digital micrometer. (Not counting the tube micrometer, the inside micrometer, and two depth micrometers). For reloading (and pretty much all gunsmithing work) I use one of the dial calipers. It's far easier to zero as the temperature changes, and more than accurate enough for reloading.

How do you measure the crimp on a case mouth with a micrometer? A caliper has the "knife edge" tip to measure a case mouth. A micrometer would be like using a tree stump in comparison.

Unclenick said:
You gently use the edge of the "stump" or you buy a blade micrometer.
Curse you. A pox on your house.

Another measuring tool I don't have, don't seem to need ... but now will not rest until I've bought one.

How have I lived 76 years without knowing these existed?

Well, you can polish the chamber in the gun that wont go into battery and it can eliminate your stoppages. You may also not getting full length sizing of the brass back to the base. And then you may be hitting the rifling with the bullet in one barrel but not the other. In that case you may have to bump your overall length a bit shorter to work in both.

Back