.45 ACP for deer at shorter ranges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would an arrow wound cause faster bleed out than a .45(or bigger) cal hole through and through?

Because of the nature of the wound. A broadhead cuts through arteries cleanly causing much more free flowing blood than a bullet wound from such a slow moving bullet. Also, any decent arrow shot is likely to be a through-and-through which will cause blood to flow out both sides freely. Not so with the .45.

I have carried my .45 ACP with me to the stand several times with the intent of using it on a deer should the opportunity arise. So far no chances that have met my requirements, 25 yards or so, broadside, clear shot at the lungs, etc. I use the same 230 gr. HP that it always carries. I don't doubt the outcome if I do my part, however I am gonna be real picky about the shot if for some reason I don't like it, I'll let it walk, its just a deer.

Can you hit a 9" pie plate every time at 50 yards with your .45? If even you can a .45 ACP isn't enough for any large game but varmints.
No coyote is going to bother you. Porky might if you get between him and where he wants to be, but a .45 JHP will just annoy him. No fmj's while hunting deer with a handgun.
http://www.eregulations.com/alabama/legal-arms-ammunition-for-hunting/
In any case, according to Alabama's Hunting regs, you can't have a firearm in your possession while bow hunting any species of game bird or animal except during open unantlered deer gun deer season.
Number 19 under PROHIBITED METHODS OF HUNTING.
http://westalabamahuntingtrail.com/hunting-regulations.html
"...unless it's an HK Mark 23..." How does that add 5 yards? It's just another pistol.

I only killed 2 deer with a .45 a.c.p.
Both with 185 grn. h.p. d.r.t.
Rem. +P.
One at about 15 ft. the other at about 50 yrds.
1st one was in a barber shop, the other in my woods.
Niether was a planned hunt.

I am planning on only taking the shot at distances of 50 yards
Can you consistently hit a fist sized target at 50 meters with a .45. If you cain't you should not be shooting deer, if you can you are a very good shot. It would be illegal here rifle only.

England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all deer of any species – a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Can you hit a 9" pie plate every time at 50 yards with your .45? If even you can a .45 ACP isn't enough for any large game but varmints.
on what could you possibly be basing this? 45 ACP at 50 yards is the same as 45 colt at 100 and more than a few deer have met their end at the hands of 45 colt. I've killed deer with 9mm at 50 yards, a 147gr from a 9mm has a lot less energy than a 185 from a 45 and at 50 yards both are travelling about the same speed meaning that the 45 should in theory perform better.

I'm going to stop after this post because people are getting off track. Yes, I can hit a small target at 50 yards. And I have spoken to Wildlife Officers. You can carry a pistol for self defense during bow season. I don't plan on shooting a deer during bow season. That is illegal. I said during GUN season. Other than that, I found my ammo. Thank you to the ones who gave me useful advice and have a good one all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back