45 acp Broomhandle, educate me

The Soviets sent us a good number of 1895s, too. I recall the ads and the rifles on shelves during the Golden Age of Surplus.

I was thinking of German policy on oddball weapons. They were said to have issued them for occupation of the country where they were made, so as to be in reach of parts and even ammo e.g. 1914 Norwegian .45.
The Russians weren't doing much occupation, but it seems they could have gotten some use out of donated gear. How much SMG shooting is a tanker going to do, anyhow?

Oh, well, no point debating history, they didn't and that's that.
I saw the ads for their Thompson "parts kits" and thought they were interesting but useless.

Back in the 1980's Federal Ordinance imported thousands of these and put new barrels, springs, stocks, and reworked them. I look on G-broker every week but someday I will find one.

Back in the 1980's Federal Ordinance imported thousands of these and put new barrels, springs, stocks, and reworked them. I look on G-broker every week but someday I will find one.
You can't put a new barrel on a broomhandle, but relining is an option. Not cheap though.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

There are Mausers with a distinct step in the barrel.
Were these made with a separate barrel screwed in or is that just an abrupt change in turning the one piece upper?

Probably a leftover "red 9" slide that couldn't be exported in that caliber under the Versailles treaty. This way they could reuse the slide by adding a 7.62 barrel.

Thanks Mike.

Anybody have Charles Pate's book on the C96 handy? I've never seen a screwed on barrel that was knurled to conceal that fact. Never seen a C96 with a pinned on front sight either.

A lot of sites seem to pass back and forth something like the following: "The pistol is a reproduction of the Chinese Type 17 made at Shansei Arsenal in the late 1920s and early 1930s and imported into the U.S. by Bricklee Trading Company." If the weapon is marked BTC, or BTC/S EL MONTE, well, that might be a clue. Whether the Bricklee imports are entirely, or not at all, original "Chinese produced variants of Mauser pistols" ... or "Chinese copies of a Chinese variant of a Mauser pistol" I can't say. The corporate history of Bricklee Trading Company, Federal Ordnance, etc. is very complicated; ask people on SKS forums (the company was importing Chinese rifles to the US long ago).

--
Michael B.

Back