45 acp bolt rifle

Had one. Beyond the "cool factor", not much to like. Horribly heavy, rudimentary sights, extremely basic trigger and some of the worst controls ever.

Cool and interesting and historic? Totally. But IMO, unenjoyable in every other way and with most things I would ask from a rifle or carbine.

A friend has a .45 Mauser. Shooting it is about as exciting as watching paint dry. He has gone back to good .22s which are more accurate and don't require buying or loading centerfire ammo.

Chuck, I'm with sevens on the Thompson, though I've never fired one. I've handled a couple and talked to several people who've owned em, it was pretty much unanimous that they're very cool and interesting guns, but not as fun to shoot very often as one would think. That said however, my hat is off to gentlemen like your dad who were/are willing to fight for our country.

Jim, I'm the total opposite, I'd much rather shoot something I can reload vs rimfire. I haven't bought any 22 lr for years, as I refuse to pay the going prices. I realize it's still technically the cheapest round to shoot, I just hate seeing that brass go to waste. Not to mention the millions of rounds of it produced every day just like it used to be, yet the prices are still outrageous because they know people will pay. Plus, with rimfire, you're stuck with what the factories offer, with centerfire I can pretty much make up any kind of load I want.

I love pistol caliber carbines... and had this built to scratch that .45 ACP itch. Completely in the opposite direction to everything posted. [emoji41]

DB96C319-1902-4A80-B7C9-5A05FE8C05DC_zpsnf8qapxz.jpg

E6401E6F-1987-4111-BD80-01B7B517E442_zps0ssbnslt.jpg

0A97046E-F0E7-4415-8244-182BA4A39DEC_zpsjoymvmd5.jpg

Macon Armory D/I .45 ACP upper, using their H&K USC magazine adapter. Wanted to go with a standard lower, in case I wanted to toss on another upper... so the USC ten rounders fit fine. Actually waiting for them to get 15 rounders available in the new magazines they made (NJ law... can't do the 20s).

Have a CX4 in 9mm, Uberti 1860 Henry in .45 Colt, and a Ruger Deerstalker in .44 Magnum (tube fed one). Only other one I'm thinking about is a new Sub2K in .40 that takes M&P magazines... since that is a gun that I already have magazines for.

Back