45-70

oldbear1950

is anyone loading for the 45-70?

I am retired from US COAST GUARD, and was stationed in Kodiak, ALASKA,
twice for a total of 5 and 1/2 years, and had two 45-70, a RUGER NBR 1 and a Marlin 45-70. For Brown bear protection. Never needed it but did load if for that

In the alder brush, the Ruger was easier to carry, but always felt comfortable with the Marlin, knowing I had more than one shot.

Ruger No. 3, and T/C Contender 14". Had a Marlin and a Siamese Mauser for many years, but let them go a few years back, excess to my needs.

Been loading smokeless for the .45-70 since about 83. I don't have any of the old blackpowder guns or reproductions, so never got into loading with black powder.

Have used the Speer 400gr and Hornady 350gr jacketed, and a lot of cast in the 400gr range.

When I had a 45-70, I loaded 3031 under 405 LFN for 1500. Very accurate, but too much recoil for my repaired cervical spine. I got a 450 Bushmaster.

I load for an 1891 vintage trapdoor and a modern (Uberti) replica of the 1885 highwall. Still fooling with the trapdoor for best bullet, including weight from 405 to 500 and diameter from 0.458 to 0.460. She gets holy black or a substitute (still have a supply of Alliant Black MZ). The Italian gets light 300 gr JSP from Sierra and Hornady over IMR-4198, but she did well with a 500 (0.458) over 65 gr BMZ. Delivered 1,319/9.5 Std and pretty good accuracy.

I had one in a Ruger #1 and a Marlin Guide Gun. I used 3031 as mentioned above and used Unique in bullets I cast myself for plinking on the range. No longer have the rifles but have more than i would ever need of gas checked cast bullits.

I had a few to include a 95 Marlin, Navy Arms Rolling Block, #3 Ruger, and Shiloh Sharps #1 sporting rifle. Bullets from 300 to 525 grains some jacketed but mostly cast. Powders, 4198,3031, Reloader 7, black powder by Goex, Swiss, and others in 1fg, 1 1/2 fg , 2fg and 3fg. Black powder has given the best accuracy as this 200 meter target shows and the 525 grain bullet passes right threw buffaloes or big bear.
all 903 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Purchased my first .45-70 in 1975, an H&R Shikari. Lived in Alaska for 27 years, used a Siamese M98 to take a brownie on Baranof and several handfulls of blacktails on Kodiak. Used Hornady 350s and 300s respectively over IMR4198. Still load for three .45-70 rifles today, mostly cast with BlueDot and Unique….no brownies here in Arizona.

My brother , rest his soul, used to tell me he had never shot a cast bullet with out a gas check that was accurate. I have never shot a cast bullet yet, from a rifle, so do not personally know. When I was up in Alaska, had a Ruger # 1 , loaded 500 grain, at about mid range, for bear. Left the muzzle about 1600 to 1800 feet per second. Was noisy as all get out, kicked like a mule, and recoiled hard, but figured if I ever run into Mr Bear, he could have what came out of the front. Was easy to carry, and going up and down mountains on Kodiak, island, the weight or lack thereof, meant a lot. Was also easier to carry thru the alder brush. I also had a Marlin 1895, was heavier, did not take such a heavy load, but was relieved to have more than one shot. I had 350 and 400 grain jacketed bullets in the Marlin.

was you navy, air force, or coast guard?

Right now I have a Henry lever 45-70, and a H & R, SHIKARI single shot, but in the past have had the MARLIN, AND RUGER NUMBER 1. I got a hold of a # 3 fired one heavy load in it and traded it off for a # 1. that #3 bit on both ends

got to Kodiak , August 31st 1975, left in FEB 1978, and returned in June 1983, and left again JUNE 1986. Loved the fishing and hunting. Did you ever get to AFOGNACK for elk?

Recently started loading black powder for 40-65 with my buddy who's loading his 45-70. I am amazed at how accurate black powder is. Wish I had started it sooner.

was you navy, air force, or coast guard?….got to Kodiak , August 31st 1975, left in FEB 1978, and returned in June 1983, and left again JUNE 1986. Loved the fishing and hunting. Did you ever get to AFOGNACK for elk?

I was in mining and oilfield. Yes, I hunted Afognak for elk, but never got a shot. My cousin’s husband had better luck, worked as a commercial fisherman and his boat once anchored off the island. He took the skiff and his rifle to the shore. Ended up shooting a decent (for Afognak) Roosevelt elk. I did get a taste of it in a stew later, delicious.

I mostly hunted deer on the west side of the Kodiak group, fished Pasagshak every Fall. I miss it all, but nothing lasts forever.

In the alder brush, the Ruger was easier to carry, but always felt comfortable with the Marlin, knowing I had more than one shot.
What kind of Marlin did you have that was "harder" to carry in the brush then a Ruger #1? You must've had a 26" barrel 1895 Cowboy.

hunting kodiak

I did , but next door neighbor got an elk on afognak, was better tasting than deer. Had a friend got a moose near anchorage, and that was good tasting too.
I fished pasagsak every year when the salmon run.
If I could have had a job offered would have retired there.
Cost too much, to not have a job.
Like you said nothing lasts forever.

I had a few to include a 95 Marlin, Navy Arms Rolling Block, #3 Ruger, and Shiloh Sharps #1 sporting rifle. Bullets from 300 to 525 grains some jacketed but mostly cast. Powders, 4198,3031, Reloader 7, black powder by Goex, Swiss, and others in 1fg, 1 1/2 fg , 2fg and 3fg. Black powder has given the best accuracy as this 200 meter target shows and the 525 grain bullet passes right threw buffaloes or big bear.
all 903 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
who needs a scope! great looking group!

i load plinking loads for both of my sons' 1895 SBLs. 405 Powder coated lead over 10 grs of Unique, big fun to shoot all day.

I load all of my ammo for my Henry .45-70.

Ramshot X-Terminator, Rem JHP, Xtreme Plated, both 300 grain. Also two different 405, one a Powder Coated and one a Gas check, hard cast.

twice for a total of 5 and 1/2 years, and had two 45-70, a RUGER NBR 1 and a Marlin 45-70. For Brown bear protection. Never needed it but did load if for that

I have both. The Marlin can take some pretty hot loads, but the #1 can take some insane loads.

I have run a little over 2500 rounds through my Marlin Guide Gun - cast and jacketed. All reloads. My favorite is the discontinued Remington 405gr JSP @1800fps. My second fave is Cast Performance 430gr WFN @1850fps (also discontinued).
The biggest critter I've taken was a bull elk at 15yds with the 405gr JSP - very dead Elk, 30" of penetration (facing running shot), and 0.9" expansion after breaking the spine.
Very handy carbine with a peep - nice to pack all day.

Back