45-70 Recoil question

45-70 Recoil

After reading some of these posts I'm beginning to feel like a wimp. My 5 1/2 pound Handi-rifle is uncomfortable to shoot. On the other hand I'm 66 and have lost some meat out of my shoulders in the last 6-8 years. I think I'm going to get enough brass to load up some lighter loads. ;)

beenthere, you might try a PAST recoil pad. It really works.

Today I went out to the range and finished sighting in my Marlin 45-70, something I'd been postponing for nearly a year. I also sighted in my old Ruger .270 which had been dropped recently when its sling broke.

Iwas really surprised that the .270 stung more through my PAST pad than did the 45-70. I still got a good push from both of them, but the push from the 45-70 was slower and although it was stronger it hurt less, and I'm only moderately sore now.

Also interesting that with factory loads the 2 shot groups I was shooting did about as good from the Marlin as from the .270. (This is significant as my older Marlin 336 tends to string out when it gets warm but the 45-70 doesn't.) I'm talking about an inch and a quarter between consecutive centers at 100 yards, so this is pretty good for a lever action. Of course, the groups themselves tended to wander about the paper as I haven't found a good spot weld on it yet.

+1 for the PAST. When you get one, go ahead and get the Magnum pad-- they're thicker. My father was in the middle of load development for his .338 Win Mag with heavier loads when he had a heart attack with bypass surgery and complications. Boy was he glad, when he got back to the bench in a few weeks, to have that PAST recoil pad! The way we use it is for sight-in off the bench. Once everything's fine on the bench, we remove the pad and go to field positions, which hurt a lot less.

If you can't find a PAST recoil pad, go with a "sissy bag" of lead shot or sand on the bench between your shoulder and the rifle butt. (Again, this is just for sight-in and load development)

ANYONE would notice the thump of a .45-70 out of a HandiRifle! ;)

I have had both Rugers #1 and Marlin lever in 45-70

The ruger would really shoot well but recoil was a bit stif. The thing about the marlin is that you can always have the stock cut down and add a bigger recoil pad, but I really wouldnt worry, Multple rounds with the marlin is the better way to go than the single shot Ruger, but both are very good guns.
I really dont find the 45-70 to be really that much more recoil than a 30-06, with a straight walled case like the 45-70 there might be a little more recoil but its not as sharp as a 30-06 so the difference is nill.
Buy him the Marlin and make him happy.
Good luck

Back