45 70 modern single shot loads

I worked up loads using a 535gr Postell boolit in my 1874 Sharps repro, and it really likes 37gr of Varget with said boolit lubed and sized to .458. It did not like the same load with the boolit coated with either Hi-Tek or powder and sized to same diameter. Which works out easier as eliminating the extra coating process means one pass through the Star does it all.
Thanks

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

So I too have a Pedersoli Sharp's. When I tested AA5744 and the BACO 535 Postell bullets I was at 24.7 gr of AA5744 and I was right around 1200 fps. When I load the true "holy black" my go-to load is the BACO 545 Creedmoor bullet, a .030" poly wad, and 65 gr of Swiss 1.5F powder and about 1233 fps. Consistently better accuracy than any smokeless load. Don't bother trying to load the Pedersoli Sharp's beyond 1275 fps, the general consensus is there is no accuracy gains to be had (at least with your typical "grease groove" type bullets). The master "paper patch" bullet shooters really crank up the velocity and see excellent accuracy, but I tried 80+ gr of BP and saw just "ok" accuracy, and my shoulder took a ROYAL beating in the process ! Here's some good smokeless load data :

http://reloadammo.com/4570load.htm

**keep in mind, don't use "modern", (also called lever) type data for the Sharp's. Stick the the "cowboy" data. Here's good info on what the Pedersoli's can handle for cup/ psi (and they are a tough design and can definitely handle higher pressures, but just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should".

https://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-resu...li_proof_rules_and_allowable_limits_09-04.htm
First Post, Long Time reader.
HighPower Shooter for over 25 Years, and reloader longer than that.
I have a Pedretti Sharps, 45/70 trying to stabilize a 530 Postell using AA5744.
21.0 yields 1048, 23.0/1124, 23.5/1145, 24.0/1156 FPS.
Shooting at 100 yds I see a start of some keyholing, on some shots??

So you think bumping it a little might stabilize it??

Do not really want to get into BP, for now, I have good things about using it.

Had two Trapdoors (HR Replicas) to get the Pedretti, had good luck reloading for them, I learned a lot, about this Caliber.
Even loaded some for my Friends Marlin 45/70's, shoots cloverleafs out of them.

Just wanted to try a Heavier Boolit, than the 405 Hard Cast out of this Rifle.

Any suggestions would be helpful??

Barman54
Out

I suggest some Alliant Black MZ. It can usually be found at a good price, it's easy to load, and you might be surprised at the velocity it delivers. The residue is not as slimy as holy black, but you should be cleaning your rifle at the end of the day regardless. What you avoid is a small powder charge rattling around in a big case.

I use it in a number of old cartridges. I'm short on chrono data, but a full case (65 gr by volume) sends a 450 out of my 50-70 at 1,200. In 44-40 it sends a 200 out of a SAA clone at 900. No reason to avoid it, unless you're worried about giving away your position.

Barman54,

Do you know your actual barrel twist (measured, not claimed; the actual value can be off a little) and can you measure the length of your bullet?

Chances are your velocity numbers are too close to the transonic range (where sound barrier effects tend to destabilize a bullet) for the bullet length-to-twist ratio, and you need either to go faster to increase the spin rate or slower to get out of the transonic range (say, 900-950 fps or less).

Barman54 said:
First Post, Long Time reader.
HighPower Shooter for over 25 Years, and reloader longer than that.
I have a Pedretti Sharps, 45/70 trying to stabilize a 530 Postell using AA5744.
21.0 yields 1048, 23.0/1124, 23.5/1145, 24.0/1156 FPS.
Shooting at 100 yds I see a start of some keyholing, on some shots??

So you think bumping it a little might stabilize it??

Do not really want to get into BP, for now, I have good things about using it.

Had two Trapdoors (HR Replicas) to get the Pedretti, had good luck reloading for them, I learned a lot, about this Caliber.
Even loaded some for my Friends Marlin 45/70's, shoots cloverleafs out of them.

Just wanted to try a Heavier Boolit, than the 405 Hard Cast out of this Rifle.

Any suggestions would be helpful??

Barman54
Out

Few things come to mind, if you are observing random keyholeing that's usually lack of velocity as matched to your barrel twist. The other possibility is an undersized bullet. With my Pedersoli Sharps I run a .458 or .459 diameter (many shooters even have excellent claimed accuracy with a .460 diam bullet). The Pedersoli 45-70 chambers are specifically throated to chamber the heavy 500+ gr match bullets such as the Postell or the Creedmoore. I think Unclenick is offering good advice , I too think you need to up your load just a bit and get up around 1200 fps and see if you can stabilize your bullets.

Unclenick, and Jasonzee,
Thanks for your Input.
Jasonee, Have real good luck w/405 and Unique, and a Host of other Powders, as the HR Trapdoors, just say you did not want to push them that much.
They shoot good in My Sharps Replica.
Unclenick, I can measure the Length of the Bullet, it is 1.400 in Length.
I cannot find the "Exact" Twist to this Rifle, it is in the Upper Teens??
THx,
Barman54
Out

I cannot find the "Exact" Twist to this Rifle, it is in the Upper Teens??

To find the exact twist of any rifle all you need is a cleaning rod, patches, a sharpie marker and a tape measure.

You can do it from either end, muzzle end is easiest, usually.

Put patches on the rod, so they fill the bore enough that the rod turns with the rifling. Put a mark on the handle end of the rod so you can tell one complete revolution. Start the patched rod in the bore until you feel it begin to turn. Put a mark on the rod at the muzzle. Push the rod in until one full turn and then put another mark on the rod at the muzzle.

Take the rod out and measure between the marks with the tape measure. That will show you 1 turn in X inches. Tougher to describe than to do. :D

Good Luck!

Back