.45-70 Lever-Gun

I just can't gasp the idea that a gun has to hurt the shooter to be effective.

I haven't found that to be the case.

It looks like, if you read different topics, the 44 mag pistol or 500 S&W will kill anything that walks the earth but a 400 grn 45-70 at faster velocities wont kill a little white tail.

Good thing they didn't have the Internet in the 1800 or all those pioneers would have starved.

I've noted that mindset myself, Kraig, and for some time. It's sort of like the magic that haints single-shot pistols. Folks who scoff at the 30-30, .35 Rem or .375 Winchester in a rifle, somehow see them as 350 yard Pronghorn or Buffalo slayers, in a pistol.

We should keep in mind that no matter what we do, we aren't going to make the 45-70 a flat shooter. As long as we set some self-imposed limits, it doesn't need to be. 350+ grains of lead, trundling along at (give or take) 1300 fps, will bore a big hole through an awful lot of meat & bone.

Marlin 1895 here.....

I decided against the Guide Gun version as I usually sit in/on a stand anyway and that extra barrel length/weight helps with recoil/weight. If I was packing it walking long distances or in through heavy brush I might change my mind. If I shoot the standard Remington load (405 grains @ 1300), it recoils between a 20 and 12 guage shotgun. The hottler loads are pretty much equal to a heavy 12 guage load, IMHO. I have not tried the super-hots, however. They go for around 500 used here - without optics.

J

I load mine with Hornady gummy tip 325 grain ammo running them about 2025 fps. The recoil is about like a 223 but that is largly due to the extra weight on the end of the barrel. Its also nice that the guns required no hearing protection.

I love 4198 powder with these bullets

scaled.php
my suppressed 45-70 Marlin 1895SBL

Thanks for the input everyone.

I do have one more question though. Does anyone have any experience with the Rossi Rio Grande 45-70? I have a Rossi Rio Grande SS in 30-30, and I haven't had any issues with it; Probably one of the better rifles I have, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I ask because right now, a Rossi is a bit easier to get a hold of than a Marlin since my local Academy usually has them on hand, but doesn't ever carry a Marlin 45-70. The Rossi also costs about $200-$300 less.

Back