45/70 govt.

Shot a box of 300gr Barnes VOR-tx this morning. After a few shots to get used to it. It's stupid accurate.
Muzzle flip is quite big. The fireball and ring following it. Even bigger. Felt recoil, is not as bad as many people think. It's no 357mag. But really not noticeably worse then my 6.5" raging bull in 480ruger. Can't wait to shoot it again.
All in all. I say anyone who's used to big bore revolvers would have a blast with the 45/70 bfr. I highly recommend shooting one. And. Definitely buying one if you're looking at one.

Sweet!

I don't have a 45/70 revolver but I DO have a 460 XVR Magnum and big huge revolvers are FUN.

People ask why, I just smile. When I pull it out at the range people notice. Believe it or not I find the heavier bullets shoot better. I have been shooting 400 grain WFNGC around 1800 fps and they are very accurate.

One big difference with the 460 vs the 45-70 is that the 45-70 is obviously a rifle round made for longer barrels. That's why you get the "ring of fire" from all the unburned powder.

A pistol cartridge like the 460 or 500 Magnums are using faster powders and will generally out perform the 45-70 in the same size barrel.

I was moments away from buying a BFR with both the 45-70 AND a 450 Marlin cylinder. But came to my senses before dropping the credit card down.

I have a 10 inch model. It also has a 450 marlin cylinder.

It is pretty stout but its a heavy gun so that soaks up alot of the recoil. The BFR also tends to roll more than kick.

I have a 540 grain cast load I shoot from it at about 825FPS. It seems to do pretty well. The same load does about 1000 FPS from my marlin (16 inch barrled cut down SBL).

Back