Colorado Redneck

Recoil of 45-70 400 gr.@ 2000 fps from JBM
Input Data
Charge Weight: 55.0 gr Muzzle Velocity: 2000.0 ft/s
Firearm Weight: 7.5 lb Bullet Weight: 400.0 gr
Output Data
Recoil Velocity: 20.2 ft/s Recoil Energy: 47.4 ft•lbs

Not very much fun to shoot, IMHO.

NO Thanks. I will pass on that. That is the biggest reason I went with the .444 instead of the 45-70. Recoil, ouch.

I love the 45/70 but as stated above its not a long range shooter (for most people)

If you plan to shoot long distances I would go with the 300 win mag but that is just my taste.

the 45/70 is a great round and is capable of killing (note I said killing not stopping) any animal on earth. I would not take it to Africa unless you have really good back up that you trust your life on. But killing a cape buffalo with it would be comparable to killing a deer with a 22magnum. While very possible its not ideal. The main difference is if you just injurer the deer it will get away, if you injurer the buffalo you are likely to not live if your back up is not able to stop it.

I am not knocking the 45/70, god knows I love both of mine. But people need to accept it for what it is. It is a great old war horse that is still able to hold its own all over the world but it is not a DG stopping round.

If you are going to use one of the Marlin guide guns, I've seen some that are ported, but I don't think that is a factory offering.

I don't know if they do anymore (I don't think so), but Marlin at one time offered the 1895G (Guide) with a factory ported, 18 1/2" barrel. Must have been one loud sucker.

The 45/70 is a great round and is capable of killing (note I said killing not
stopping) any animal on earth.
Correct for a factory-loaded ammunition that is held at Trapdoor pressure/energy levels.

Handloaders with modern Marlin lever actions (and above) begin to approach starting 458WinMag ballistics.

Note the italics above, but one must give the old warhorse its due. ;)

I can't let this slide. I read earlier in this thread that the 45-70 decimated the bison. True that guns were used if you mean by decimated 10%. Guns of many types may have been used to kill off 10% of the bison, much of them wasted, but another 85% died of cattle diseases. Now those same diseases carried by bison threaten cattle. Ironic isn't it.

This really depends on where and how you plan to hunt. Assuming all are legal where you plan to hunt, the determining factor, for me, would be distance. At close range, the 45-70 can throw a big chunk of lead that will penetrate deeply. In a lever action, it also provides very fast follow up shots. At longer ranges, the trajectory of either 300 will be a lot flatter. Whatever you choose, shot placement and bullet construction are key. Also, the recoil of the 45-70 is not as bad as some are making it out to be.

I actually like the thought of the 45-70 at closer range....I have 2 Marlins..one ported..one not....The 45-70 is not bad on recoil in either..with Buffalo Bore ammo..if U have a nice soft pad....

Back