44spl c.c.

I originally bought the Bulldog as a backup to my 1911, but later realised that if you need your backup, the situation has escalated and so should the firepower. Now I back up my 1911 with a G21.

A backup gun is a last ditch gun to use when the main gun is taken from you or broken or serverly jammed so that its out of action. IF you need more firepower get a long gun.
PAT

"Non-LEO's" should read "licensed CCW holders". The implication here is that folks who deliberately seek out licensing to carry a gun on a regular basis tend to practice more, on average, than your average police officer who carries a gun because they have to and who only shoots at mandatory qual sessions (officers who hang out here are ecxeptions to the norm; most cops, beilieve it or not, are not 'gun buffs') The numbers come from a study done a year or two ago.

The reports on Charter 2000s...

Nobody knows yet around here for sure whether the C2000s are any good. Some published professional reviews have been stellar, for example the Quinn brothers review at www.gunblast.com and several print reviews. But the guns were provided by Charter 2000 themselves and while they SAY they weren't "specially tuned lab queens", we don't really know for sure.

Some people on TFL have reported seeing loose specimens at gun shows and the like. But unfortunately, most of the people providing such reports have done so incompetently, and that's being charitable. My apologies if I offend anyone, but most of the reports didn't describe any details of the problems, some didn't mention just which gun or caliber they were talking about, and some weren't sure if they were looking at an original Charter Arms, a Charco or a Charter 2000. They also didn't record serial numbers of poor specimens so we can check whether they're very early C2000 guns or newer.

I'd be embarassed to even discuss what I saw without recording at least most of the above...I'm very disappointed.

We know the basic design is sound. Charter family guns use no sideplates, the lockwork and grip frame "forks up" into the rear of the grip frame. This is similar to the Ruger Blackhawk/Vaquero frame and we know how strong that is - as long as the Charter metallurgy is OK, strength isn't a major concern as long as you understand the limits of these small guns. Charters also lock the cylinder pin at both the rear and front of the cylinder (at the crane) somewhat like a Ruger GP100, although the forward lock works on a different principle.

This is why Charter keeps coming back from the dead after cycles of bad management, poor cash flow and nasty QC, as seen at the end of the Charter Arms period and the entire Charco run, more or less.

Many of us are still VERY curious about how Charter 2000 quality fares, and wish the company all the best. I hope I can make it to a local gun show so I can check out some specimens in more detail. Failing that, one of the Quinns said they were going to buy a personal Bulldog in .44Spl at a local dealer, without C2000 being involved in picking it out, in part so they can do a follow-up to the first review. I'm looking forward to that eagerly; the Quinns don't live off of gun manufacturer advertizing and have been willing to call a turkey a turkey in previous writings.

A backup gun is also the fastest tactical reload, which is why I carry it.

I did think about the firepower issue, and would rather have a long gun, but cant find a tactical thigh holster for my M1A, or a decent concealment holster either!:D

My apologies Jim for wasting your time with my pawnshop and gun show observations of the new Charter 2000 Bulldogs. :P

Next time I will take a micrometer, some feeler gauges and a set of files and metal punches to the show so I can get some good hard data on the guns. I sure they won't mind me disassembling, filing on and measuring every tolerance of the guns that they are trying to sell while their other customers look on..... :D

Seriously, playing with these things at the shows and collecting impressions based on such examinations will not tell us how these guns are going to hold up. Unfortunately it is the only real source of info that we have right now.

The only way we are going to learn about these new Bulldogs is when somebody takes a leap of faith and buys one and starts shooting it. Maybe we could take up a collection, everybody interested cough up a few $$$ and let someone buy one or two of the damn things and shoot it until it dies and then we can have some REAL information....

On the other hand, the Taurus 445s that I have played with seem quite nice and I have not once heard a bad word about them. The S&W 696s make me drool and sit up awake at night! A lot more money I know, and I have not yet found a used one around here, but damn that is a nice gun.....

Back