.44Mag vs. .357Mag question

357 vs 44

Given your Use suggestions I would recommend as many of the others, did getting a 357 Mag 6 inch. You will have great fun blowing out x rings. If you're not going into the backwoods to hunt or hike (in bear country) a 44 wont do much more for you. Unless you get a kick out of shooting one like me! :)
I have a snubby 357 and a 6 inch 44 and I wouldn't trade it for a 357, however I will pistol hunt on occasion and wanted a little black bear medicine if needed. Plus mastering a 44 with hot loads can be a fun and challenging task.
Good Luck,

big guns are fun, and damn accurate too!

You just gotta have both!

Since you already have the SP101, don't deny yourself the opportunity to experience another caliber. Lot's of bargains on used 44's out there, many that have barely been shot!

My guess is that if 357M out of an SP101 doesn't bother you, neither will 44S or 44M out of a larger frame gun.

And regardless of what you choose - think handloading! MUCH cheaper, and lighter/tailored loads can make for a very pleasant range outing.

C.R. Sam wrote:

Model 19 .357 can't make as big a lump in your pants as the model 29 44maggie.

Sam, that is definitely a loaded statement! :D There are so many ways to go with this one that I am going to refrain all together. ;)

As for the original question, I'd suggest a used S&W 586/686 with 6" tube or a Ruger GP-100 with 6" tube. :)

Back