44 SPL for pocket carry

So I was thinking about getting a Taurus M85UL 38 for a pocket carry gun to replace my S&W M&P 380 pistol (it's at S&W getting repaired after 200 rounds), but then I thought about the Charter Arms 44 spl bulldog or boomer.
I reload everything so not concerned about ammo prices. it's also only going to be a backup carry not primary, for that role i have a XDS9mm.
i'm also on the fence with 380. I can make the shots count with the heavy trigger of the S&W (sub 1" at 7), but there are high odds i'd need to fire 2-3 rounds per bad guy. 38 special with 5 rounds is i think better than a 380 with 7+1 especially when i don't know if all 7+1 will actually go bang. 44 spl with 5 rounds, you are almost guaranteed to nail 5 bad guys with a cylinder of ammo.

So, does anyone out there carry either piece in a jeans pocket ?

thanks for any feedback.

I've only handled a bulldog once. It's considerably bigger than a 5 shot J frame. I would think you're going to be out of the realm of "pocket carry" but that depends on your body shape and pants type. I wouldn't be able to, but I don't pocket carry anything regardless.

IMHO, 5 shots of 38 is better than 8 shots of 380. As far as the 44SPL, I may kick that around for a backpacker/hiking/backup hunting gun, but not for CC, unless that was what I had on hand and it fit the bill, such as living in a cold environment where 2 legged predators had heavy coats, etc.

YMMV.

I had a Taurus .44spl Ultralite that I tried to jacket front pocket carry in the winter, but it was just too bulky and heavy and lost its place to an LCR .38. The LCR is about 7 oz. lighter unloaded. The Taurus also had an exposed hammer which could snag during a draw (although it never happened during practice draws).

I liked that Taurus, but we had to break up. Sad Face.

was thinking about the Ruger LCR, but price is a bit steep.
I may replace the bodyguard with a LCP and with left over cash put towards a revolver. i got the bodyguard for $260 and $8 for an extra mag. plus hopefully get a free one from S&W when the gun comes back.

As a big fan of the dog and carried one for over 15 years as a primary carry I think it's a hard gun to beat.
I also have a Taurus 445 in 44special which is a little smaller but weighs more.
If you can conceal it I would go with the 44.
The bull dog will not fit in a pocket but a 38 wont ether. Both will fit but both will easily be seen by the outline.

44 spl with 5 rounds, you are almost guaranteed to nail 5 bad guys with a cylinder of ammo.

In a SHTF panic situation, you would be lucky to nail one guy with a 5 rd snub nose 44spl revolver.

"44 spl with 5 rounds, you are almost guaranteed to nail 5 bad guys with a cylinder of ammo." by this i meant the ballistic ability of the ammunition verses the others, not really quoting a serious state of fact.

but i do have a 2" 22lr revolver made in 1954, admittedly not fired in panic mode, but capable of 1" - 1 1/2" groups :-)

I have been carrying a Bulldog .44Special, in my pocket for over three years. It weighs 19 Oz empty.
It's lighter then my Ruger SP 101 .357.
It's really not much bigger then a J frame. I was able to get a full grip on the gun in my jean pocket.
The only mod I did was to Bob the hammer, and round off the back of the frame at the rear sight. This allows an easy no snag pocket draw.
In my opinion a revolver prints less then a flat semi auto pistol. The round curves seem to make a softer profile.
As for power, with the right cartridge its on par with the .45acp.

Why skip over the obvious answer? A 5 shot .357 would do what you need and has a better record as a fight stopper than a .44 anyways.

I have a Bulldog DAO, and never even considered looking for a pocket holster for it. My LCR, especially with the smaller boot grips does carry pretty well in a large pants pocket. But it's primary use is in a coat pocket in cold weather.
For me pocket carry is almost unanimously my LCP. Very rarely my Kahr CM9.
I really doubt the "5 guys" scenario is very realistic. Even if, after the first one gets shot the llikelyhood of the others continuing tge attack is even more remote than five in the first place.
As far as 44 Special accuracy, I don't understand 75218ron in the least. Obviously he has never shot one. 10 yard accuracy with my DAO Bulldog was as good as anything else I carry, better than some. In fact, it really surprised me thefirst time I shot it.

Last edited:
I don't think he was questioning the round's accuracy, but more the average shooter's accuracy in a high stress situation with a round count limited to five. I could be wrong though.
I agree with you though, my Bulldog surprises me too.

I don't think he was questioning the round's accuracy, but more the average shooter's accuracy in a high stress situation with a round count limited to five. I could be wrong though.
I agree with you though, my Bulldog surprises me too.

You are correct, sir. I don't recall questioning the accuracy of the 44 spl. I believe the gentleman must have a reading comprehension problem.

you would be lucky to nail one guy with a 5 rd snub nose 44spl revolver

I don't think there were any comprehension problems read as you worded it.
I was simply trying to offer clarification understanding that typically only 25% of shots fired actually find their target in that kind of situation,
if that many.

People don't think about just how an adrenaline dump effects even the most rigorously trained shooter.

Saying that I still choose to carry either a five or six shot revolver over anything else.
My .44 special DAO Bulldog is one of my choices on occasion.

lol...turkeestalker, you and i were on the same page to start with. I should have made it clear that cheapshooter was the one that my comment was directed to. I was actually agreeing with you. :)

In the late 1800s the most accurate centerfire cartridge was the 44 Russian .
Our 44Spl was designed after the Russian !! There's never been a question about it's accuracy.
A poorly made revolver wouild subtract from that . The standard load was in fact a target load ! Reasonably increased loads make a very fine SD load.

I have a Bulldog and carry it in most of my J frame holsters. Its part of the rotation.
I can hit with it. Not expecting 5 bad guys or more.... :)
David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Back