.44 spl. carry ammo?

Another vote for the Blaser 200 gr Gold Dot HP. Simply awesome performance from my 296. I sure as hell wouldn't want to get hit with one!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hornady's factory loaded 180 gn xtp is reported to get 1000 fps from 696

I shot this load from a 8 inch anaconda severl years ago and it did not expand at all in water. I was not impressed. The xtp in question is a good bullet but only at 44 mag velocitys.
PAT

lonegunman

Its a simple concept the body is 70% water a lot of ammo companies test expansion in water instead of gelatin because its cheaper and it provides the same expansion results.
PAT

sigfan,
Go back to my earlier post. Hornady's factory 180g XTP chronographed, out of my 696 at 835 fps. That's quite a bit short of 1000 fps.

I Like the Heavy Bullets, Myself- - -

It is hard to find any full weight loads that aren't "Cowboy" loads, wihch means RN or RN flat point. I have bought some PMC 240 LSWC loads, though, which are quite nice. Not as good as my handloads with a stout dose of Unique behind a 240 SWC, but they do around 800 from a five-inch New Service, and they ARE factory loads, if that is significant. Besides, with the heavy slug and wide meplat, you don't really need super velocity, except to flatten out trajectory for hunting use.

I just have a hard time justifying the use of lighter bullets in a nice big revolver. I might see it in a 3" concealment piece. My problem is, why carry a .44 Special and then load it with ammo less powerful than what I carry in a lightweight .45 automatic? Big gun, big bullets!

Best regards,
Johnny

Hello. The following .44 Spec factory velocities were taken from a 3" Taurus M31 and may be of use in your question concerning carry loads:

Blazer 200 gr GDHP ~ 829 ft/sec

Glaser Silver 135 gr PreFrag ~ 1032 ft/sec

Triton 165 gr QuikShok ~ 1088 ft/sec

PMC 180 gr JHP ~ 827 ft/sec

I also tried one handload:

Hornady 180 gr XTP (moly-coated)
9.0 gr Unique
Federal Large Pistol Primer
Winchester Cases

Ave Velocity ~ 1009 ft/sec

My pistol's currently loaded with the QuikShok.

Best.

Triton Quik Shock?

Just saw my first box of those today---although it was a box of 45 ACP. This is another brand I need to try. Corbon as well. Thanks to everyone who posted. The Blazer GDHP 200 grainers still impress me as well.
jack

Back