.44 spl. carry ammo?

Jack Carson

I normally handload. Does anyone have a favorite carry factory .44 spl. load? Especially interested in HP bullets. Any input is appreciated.

Well that depends, are you loading carry ammo for your Redhawk or CA bulldog, I go pretty light for my bulldog, and obviously heavier for the Redhawk.

You must be a pretty big fellow if you carry a Redhawk, Edward. ;)

Jack, I like the CCI-Blazer 200g round...you could use the hollowpoint in that bullet to drink draft beer. :cool:

My carry revolver

I should have specified what it is: a 4 inch S&W 624. By the way, I've got it set up pretty sweet. Skeeter Skelton style grips by Bear Hug--the late Deacon picked them out for me--and carried in a Tom Threeperson strong hand holster by El Paso Saddlery.

I absolutely love carrying this nice shooting sixgun. In summer I carry it with the first chamber loaded with a shot load for copperheads and the odd rattlesnake. Lately I've just been looking for a more "social load." Would rather have it in factory but I can always continue to homebrew.

I like the 200 gr. Winchester Silvertips. They seem perfect for social encounters - fun for tin cans, too.

Don't buy if you need high penetration though, they majorly splattered when shot at 1/8" steel. Big HP, though. And bright, you can see em in the cylinder from like 15 ft. away. :)

CCI Blaser 200 gn gd ought to get slightly over 900 fps from 4 in 624 (tried em, but didn't chrono). Excellent factory load for the 44 special. Hornady's factory loaded 180 gn xtp is reported to get 1000 fps from 696, although ain't tried em yet.

Both of these bullets are capable at 44 special velocities, and are easy to handload to replicate factory velocities (unique or VV-N350). If ya post on the reload section, would bet someone will give ya recipe's.

The Win factory silvertips are very slow, but apparently will expand at the low velocitys and offer very minimal recoil. Have not been pleased with their accuracy.

I dont carry the Redhawk except in the mountains but I like to keep a couple speedloaders of 44 specials with it in the house in case it needs to be pressed into service socially.

I dont think I've ever shot any factory through any of my 44's. I've got three Lyman moulds and use wheelweights. The 180 WC, The 245 Keith SWC, and the 300 Keith SWCGC.

For the CA Bulldog, I load:

180 gr WC...13.5 gr 2400
180 gr WC...7.5 gr Unique
245 gr SWC...6.0 gr Unique
245 gr SWC...11.0 gr 2400

For the Redhawk I load:

180 gr WC...15.0 gr 2400
I only load enough of these to have a couple speedloaders of it ready. The CA takes a different speedloader so they dont get mixed up. I usually use mag brass for the redhawk anyway but have used this load in special brass. Of course you should reduce these loads by 10% and work your way up.

Your S&W would fall in between my lightweight Bulldog and heavyweight Redhawk in terms of durability. You should still consult a loading manuel to load for it. Lyman makes a great one, I'd get it first. If ya' dont reload, start. Ya' really have to reload to get all the versatility that 44's offer, IMO. Happy shooting!

Jack, if you can find cor-bon in your area check them out, all loads I have use of thiers are great. But I would leave the handloads for practice.Stay safe.

i've had great luck using the CCI blaser 200gr gold dot too. i fired it in our off-duty qualifications and found it very accurate with minimal recoil allowing swift double-taps.

i should qualify that...it's a smith 696 that came with a mag-na-ported 3" barrel and round-butted hogue wood grips.

i need to find some 5-shot speed-loaders and thinking of a kramer vertical scabbard

Thanks for the posts!

Picked up some 200 gr. Blazers and will let y'all know how they do. As I said before, I have always handloaded the .44 spl. as factory ammo is simply too anemic. I bought some Buffalo Bore Heavy .44 spl. last year--255 gr. semiwadcutter with velocities just a few fps shy of 1000 fps. out of my 4 inch. Problem is, it was a special run and the damn things cost a buck a round after shipping and handling!

It was just my own paranoia about carrying hand loads for self defense and the factory stuff I tried was not good enough. I have a feeling these 200 grainers might work. Of course the proof is in the results--need to shoot some medium sized game and see how it goes.

ps. couldn't find any cor bon today or would have picked up a box of that as well.

again, thanks for your posts.

Jack,
Here's the chronograph results from my 3" 696.

PMC 180g JHP = 880 fps

Hornady 180g XTP = 835 fps

WW Silvertip 200g = 730 fps

Blazer 200g JHP = 878 fps

Rem 200g SWC = 816 fps

I was very disappointed in the Hornady and not surprised by the Silvertips (they have always been poor performers in both velocity and terminal bullet performance). I like the Blazer with the 200g GD HP.

Dear Victor-the 1998 Hornady catalog lists the 180 xtp at 1000 fps from 7.5in v barrel, whatever the v means. Till i actually chrono one, will not state what "actual" velocity is. Main Point being, they are easy to handload to 1000 fps from 696.:(

zeke-
the "v" stands for vented, that means that they chrono'ed the load in a vented barrel rather than a "test" barrel...they use it to sim the cylinder gap

I'd forget about HP unless they are factory. I load 7.5gr Unique behind a Keith 240gr.LSWC. It will stop anything I need to stop.
For a HP to work in the 44spl, you will have to go to lighter bullets. My own preference in any 44, spl or mag, is heavy bullets.
With a 240gr LSWC, expansion is unnecessary to stop somebody.
They will react as if hit between the eyes with a hammer!

defense loads...

Jack-I have two .44 Specials.

One is a 624 3" DAO duty-tuned.

The other is a Taurus 431 4" DAO blued 5-shot.

On occasion, I carry one or the other. When I do, I use the same load in both-the Blazer 200-grain Gold Dot HP.

I have shot most of the .44 spec factory ammo offerings and have found the 200gr. Georgia Arms to be the best. It is clean, accurate, and the folks are first rate (they set up at a local show).

READ SOMEWHERE......

in one of the gunzines that recently the energy transfer from a SWC has been linked to the meplat NOT the shoulder on the bullet as had been thought. I'm confused as to the conclusion this presents but,IMHO, a SWC( big 240gr. ) at 950 to 1000fps would do nicely, thank you. The CCI GoldDot is more than up to the task. Best...dewey

dewey,
I think what you are refering to is the experience gained by handgun big game hunters. The LBT (Lead Bullet Technologies) design with a wide meplat, almost a big wadcutter but with just enough ojive to fly through the air, has become the chosen hunting bullet design. I suspect the same design would make an excellent selfdefense bullet. They are known for straight line, deep penetration.
Most of what I have read about this has come from Ross Syfreid (I'm not sure how to spell his last name) but there have been some other reports on it from other sources. The advantages of the SWC cutting shoulder was touted by Elmer Keith for years. No knock on Mr. Keith but we may be learning some things he was unaware of.

44 Spl carry ammo

I second (or is it third) the motion of the CCI Blazer 200gr Gold Dots. They just look intimidating in the gun with that HUGE hollowpoint. While I don't have a 44 myself, I have given a couple of boxes to my brother-in-law. He likes 'em.

Silvertips have been poor performers in his guns too.

He won't shoot lead bullets in his gun. He had a very bad leading experience with someone's reloads so now it is just JHPs for him.

Back