44 Special Lipsey's style

Considering the fact that this was not purchased to be a carry piece it's a moot point.....

I've got 2 others that are well suited for that roll

20171128_183731.jpg

The point that I probably could have made better is, if I wanted to scratch that itch, .44 magnum guns are easier to come by, and shoot Special as well.

Old argument, I know.

I do kind of have my eye out for one of the big bore snubs.

Wow, that's pretty darn nice......Those grips are nice but I sure love my old school GP grips with the wood inserts.

I love the .44 Special...but that behemoth is a dog...IMO.

"Dog" is a personal opinion I suppose, but I don't see how it can be called a behemoth... I'm guessing, it being a 5 shooter, that its a 357 size frame.

My Lipsey's 5" 44 spcl Ruger SA is on a 357 sized frame, I find it to be noticeably less in weight and size than the larger 44 mags.

I guess compared to a little runt snubby its a behemoth.

I dont think I'd ever buy one, unless I were to finally start reloading. But if I happened to run into you with that great little GP at the range, you can bet that I'd be begging you to let me shoot it! :D

I just ordered that exact same pistol, i'm planning on reloading skeeters and Keith loads.
I have a CA 44 bulldog which I thought when I got it could run 44 skeeters, but too light weight a pistol. my 7 1/2 SRH with scope is fatiguing as a target pistol with medium loads, just HEAVY.
what do you all think about strength wise of those blue lipsey's ? The frame isn't much different than a SRH.

The full under lug barrel is what prevents me from being interested at all.
If Ruger were to finish the machine work, and put a slim barrel on it (similar to the ones they put on the old Security Sixs) I'd buy one right off.

But the "full-under-lug barrels are a super turn off for me.

It's not a "special feature". It's simply an excuse to not finish the machine work.

The full under lug barrel is what prevents me from being interested at all.
If Ruger were to finish the machine work, and put a slim barrel on it (similar to the ones they put on the old Security Sixs) I'd buy one right off.

But the "full-under-lug barrels are a super turn off for me.

It's not a "special feature". It's simply an excuse to not finish the machine work.

Here ya go. 1/2 lug 44 Special

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUGP4451

I love the .44 Special...but that behemoth is a dog...IMO.
Its a huge heavy 5 shot gun. My tastes run more towards the N frame 4" mountain gun style configuration with a full 6 shots.
What in God's creation are you guys talking about? The 44 special GP100 is lighter than an N frame or medium frame Blackhawk. The five inch half lug is six ounces lighter than the Smith you linked to.

Is that why Colt and Smith & Wesson have been doing it all these years? :confused::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jack, If I based my gun purchases off of the advice that I've gotten off the internet I'd have never owned some of the best guns in my collection. Everyone has their opinion but ultimately my mind is made up based on my own experience......and you'll never catch me stating an opinion based solely on internet hyperbole.....If I can't give an informed opinion based on personal experience I'll keep my trap shut.

Here's what the GP100 looks like now.

20180210_195540.jpg

My eyesight isn't what it used to be and the majority of my shooting is done at the range shooting paper targets. The red dot is unsightly for sure but it has helped me shoot much more accurately at my preferred distance of 25 yards. The 44 special is extremely accurate with carefully crafted handloads and is a joy to shoot!

Just put me one of the Lipsey Ruger GP 100 44 spec in lay away to go along with my Henry 44 mag carbine. Very nice looking Ruger for sure...

When is the last time you priced a S&W or Ruger wheel gun? That ......439 is a winner. The $600 is too far off if in great shape.

Back