44 magnum wasn't as painful as I had expected.

My long ago sold off Walther PPK/s hurt me worse than my 4" barreled S&W M29, so, I don't doubt you for a second!
Which begs the question: If the PPK/s (larger PP frame),was so fierce, how would the smaller frame PPK in .380 feel, recoil wise?

The Ruger single actions, apart from their Bisley, were not well suited to the .44 and probably contributed a lot to the "fearsome" reputation of the cartridge. I didn't care at all for the original wood Redhawk grip for that matter. Mine got Pachmyers and eventually Hogues.

The Bisley grip turns their single actions into pussycats.

Back in the 80's I had a SS Ruger SBH and my first wife who weighed 110 lbs soaking wet loved it with hot loads and she still has it to this day. I had a Bisley. Hated it.

Well when I get one, I'm definitely going to err on the side of too large vs too small. Like I said, when I shoot my J-frame with +p 38 specials, my hand is pretty sore. I just assumed it would be as bad or worse with ANY 44 magnum. It was a nice surprise. I also think that the large shelf on the top of the grips probably helped vs the curved grips that the single actions commonly have.

I also did have the advantage of knowing how to grip it. There was a little bit of a learning curve when I bought my first J-frame for carry and found the thumbs locked down on top of each other like this seemed to help.

hggrip_0925c.jpg

I will admit, I did flinch like crazy though right away. The blast is no joke, especially indoors... I don't usually shoot at in indoor range, but perhaps if I'm ever shooting one indoor like that I'll double up ear protection.

I couldn't believe the fireballs we were getting!

Also, CDR, how does that primary arms red dot hold up to the recoil? I've got a Bushnell TRS-25 and really haven't abused it much. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they're pretty comparable. Not Aimpoints, but not junk either if you know what I mean.

Its all about the gun, my 629 5" with rubber grips is pretty easy on the shooter, I shot some of my mag reloads (23grains of 4227 under a 265 grain bullet) at 100 rounds a sitting, had a good little blister on my thumb but thats it. Now ypu shoot that load out of one of those scandium frame jobbies and you'll be looking for the Tylenol after a few cylinders. 44 is a great round.

A buddy of mine has a little snubnose .44 with wood grips that he always wants me to shoot when we go to the range.
Ive watched him shoot it enough times and saw it almost knock it on his backside (not to mention he shakes his hands from the pain it causes him) to make me pass whenever he offers to let me shoot it. Talk to me when you get some rubber grips for that thing, pal. He always tried to tell me how much fun it is to shoot though, that it makes him feel like a real man.
He seems to think its some kind of test of manhood. I guess that Ive grown past the point where I need to prove my manhood. :cool:

I love shooting my .44 mag revolvers with light to moderate target loads at the range. Its also nice that I don't give the folks next to me a headache with moderate loads, and I do not have to move to the magnum lanes at the far end of the range.

My loads are 240 LSWC, Winchester large primer, 6.2 grains of Trailboss (fills the case pretty well. 240 Speer JHP Winchester LP and 9.5 grains of Hodgden Universal ( this one has more bang and some Muzzle flash). I also would not hesitate to use the Universal load as a self defense load as it is at .44 spl. power range about 1000 fps.

We were shooting some full house loads too, nothing crazy, but still 240 grains in that 1400-1600 fps range.

Well, IMHO, iffin you were getting 1400-1600fps outta that 6" barrel they were something crazy and quite hot.

That said, .44s are a hoot to shoot. Glad you enjoyed it.

Back