.44 Magnum Rifle

The Deerfield system reminds me of a dual recoil spring M-1 carbine.

That's exactly what I thought the first time I stripped mine all the way down. Remarkable how much is the same. If I put mine side by side with a 10/22, it's hard to pick out which is which. Then you start working the bolt and you decide it reminds you of a little Garand or M-14. Which makes you think of the Mini-14. But then you take it apart and M1 Carbine HAS to come to mind. Being reminded of those vintage rifles is a plus for the design in my book!

Sure, you can "top off" a tubular magazine easier than a magazine. But I can't say I've ever wanted to do that when I was deer hunting. It has been a strictly one shot rifle. On the other hand, a magazine fed rifle can have loads switched much quicker. If I go out with 240 grain XTP's in the rifle looking for deer but then decide to try to get a couple of coyotes, it is quick and easy to swap the magazine for the one in my jacket loaded with 180 grain JHC bullets. Swap mags and work the action and you are ready to go.

I wanted one of the old ones for years just because I tend to prefer older guns. But I got a chance at a Deerfield for a great price and it has really surprised me. It edged out my Remington 700 for deer hunting last year. That was just supposed to be for the fun of doing something different but I notice the Deerfield is the gun I took out this week to check the zero!

Opening day here in Oklahoma is this Saturday morning. The Deerfield and I will be up in a tree before the sun comes up. Usually I have a deer on the ground within an hour or two of sunrise.

Gregg

Ruger .44 Mag. Carbine, but I don't think you can get high cap mags? You did mentioned self defense..........

44 mag or 45-70 gov

Need help.. I want to buy my 17 yr old daughter a rifle for deer hunting here in OHIO. We can now use 45-70 Gov.. I have never shot this one. I have shot the 44 mag. She is 5"7 118 pounds. She shoots her 22-250 with no problem and my .357 mag no problem. Help me.. Will the 45-70 Gov have to much recoil for her and/or be too heavy. Please be serious.. Thanks..

82nd Airborne... Follow me...

I heard (not saying it's fact) that they're rather inaccurate.
Is this true?
As Marcel Marceau said in Silent Movie...

"NO"

21dlz45.jpg

:D

Yet another zombie thread resurrected by a newbie who doesn't bother to check the last posting date.
He's resurrecting it to ask his own question on a related topic. Is that a terrible thing?

To answer the question, even a fairly mild factory 45-70 load will have about double the recoil of a .44 magnum. If you reload, you can drop that quite a bit.

Even the .44 magnum will have double or triple the recoil of a 22-250, though it may seem more like a push than a jolt due to the much lower velocities involved.

Last edited:
She is 5"7 118 pounds...
I had two (rather good-lookin') gals come out to the range where I was RSO-ing last summer.

BOTH had CZ 375 H&H's in prep for an Africa trip
BOTH shot really well in all positions... including standing/X-sticks.

If the latest poster's daughter handles the previously-mentioned weapons (especially the 357Mag
whose recoil I personally find "nasty) w/o issues, I think standard Cowboy loadings (405gr/1,200fps)
will be OK. (Think a light 1 oz 12ga skeet load -- more than a few women have no problems
at all -- including my own elder daughter of that same weight/height.)

* ps: A `95 Marlin, either standard or GBL would be fine/not too heavy/not too light.
** pps: Note that the so-called "cowboy" load will pretty much kill anything on this Continent

Last edited:
ptcb- The 45/70 doesn't just kick, it KICKS. I have one that weighs 12 pounds and it ain't bad. I have another that weighs 8 pounds and it's brutal.

I have loaded the 45/70 with 260 grain JHPs intended for the 45 Colt over enough 2400 to produce 1,300 FPS. Accurate in my rifle was under 1" at 50 yards and kick isn't bat at all. But you must reload. This caliber demands reloading.

Quote:
Yet another zombie thread resurrected by a newbie who doesn't bother to check the last posting date.
I don't know why people get their panties in a wad over the dates when the topic is what matters

ALL the threads are new to those who just joined

A 44 mag will have a lot less recoil, and Ruger is making a nice bolt action 77/44 if you don't like the Marlin lever guns

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I think I will buy my daughter the Marlin 44 mag...We looked at one today it fit her good, not too heavy...

Congrats on the purchase. Let us know how she likes it, and do a range report, once you have had a chance to play around with it some.

Congrats on the purchase. Let us know how she likes it, and do a range report, once you have had a chance to play around with it some.

I second the congratulations. Please let us know how it shoots. I've been looking at one of those myself ;)

Back