44 Magnum / regular primers ok?

which primer you choose is usually the one that gives you the most consistent velocity.

For some of us (BEFORE there was a shortage) which primer we chose was more a matter of which brand was suitable and on the shelf, and if there was a price difference.

In the 70s when I started loading, I lived in NY and used mostly Rem or Win primers, because they were everywhere.

In the 80s I moved to the west and since then have mostly used CCI, again, for the same reason. I've mostly stuck with those, because I could, and because changing to something else meant dropping down a bit and working the load back up for safety and why bother doing that (and "wasting" bullets) when I already had tested proven loads as long as I stuck with the same primer and other components.

For the .44 Magnum, I use magnum primers for magnum loads (2400, W296 mostly) and standard primers for everything else (Unique mostly). I used to chronograph loads, now I don't bother. Several years of testing showed me that what I get is close enough to what's in the books for practical use, and differences from the book numbers are within the range of differences between individual guns.

I have a S&W M29-2, a Ruger Super Blackhawk, Desert Eagle, and a 10" T/C Contender barrel in .44 Magnum. In the past I've also had a Ruger Vaquero, a Marlin Carbine and an LAR Grizzly in .44 Mag, but let them go over the years as excess to needs...(ja, seems dumb today, but made sense then...)

Keith proved you don't need magnum primers to light off large charges (20+gr) of 2400, but since the books recommend them and I have them I use them. I always use magnum primers for W296, H110.

Back