.44 Magnum effects on people?

Other day I picked up some Fed Hydrashok's for my .44 Desert Eagle... theses rounds look pretty nasty..

I bought them for defense.. well.. 2nd defense... if I have to defend myself the first gun I pick up is my RugerP97 (.45) loaded with some Hydrashok's, but if all else fails.. I have my Desert Eagle with the Hydra's... to be honest... I don't think my Desert Eagle has much more recoil than my Ruger .45.. half the gun is plastic and it's a pretty good sized round.. so it's got some good muzzle flip... my Desert Eagle is VERY heavy and is a gas powered semi auto... to me.. the recoil seems about the same as my P97.

as for noise of BOOM and flash... well thats something differen't, hehehehe

But I can fire my DE one handed with no probs.. haven't tried rapid fire though... damn indoor range won't let me rapid fire.. they got pissed at me once for rapid firing my friends Ruger 10/22... ugh..

I sure wouldn't want to be hit with a .44.. I'm sure it would sting a lot, LOL

-Frank the Spank

From the FWIW Dept: An LE friend of mine carried 4" Model 29 during undercover work. He got into a melee and shot a BG at contact. The muzzle was touching the upper left chest about three inches in from the shoulder joint and just below the collarbone. Slightly upward angle.

Witnesses said they saw flame erupt from the shootee's back. The shootee lived, but his left arm was almost useless, and he was missing about a half-pound of shoulder-blade and much of the meat around the exit.

I saw a 44 magnum Black Talon victim with a round in the abdomen. There was schrapnel al over the place and the viscera looked somewhat blenderized. I think he lived, but can't remember.

chmeyers:

When you say "shrapnel all over the place" do you mean bullet fragments were scattered all over the abdominal wound or the vicinity of the shooting was peppered with bullet fragments?

Thanks to everyone for the replies. All others welcomed.

Edmund

I really dont think the issue is whether or not the 44 mag bullet will do the job, but rather will the shooter be able to do his. If a guy can put steel on target repeatedly under stress with his trusty 44, it should be devastating. But like any other caliber, shot placement is everything. Just my opinion.

------------------
"To die as a warrior means to have crossed swords and either won or lost without any consideration for winning or loosing. There is just not enough time and generally not enough strength in the resolve of any man to do otherwise"-Miyamoto Musashi

Well I haven't shpt any peoples with a .44 Mag. but I have killed a couple of deer. The first was a forked horn buck, and all I could see wawas his head. Range? About 20 to 25 yards. At the bullet strike, the antlers took off going in both directions. Instant kill, but messy. Bullet not recovered.
The second was taken on a doe tag, distance maybe 45 yards. The bullet caught her on the point of the shoulder, the jacket staying in the shoulder blade, the rest of the core penetrating through to the off shoulder. Very little expansion.
Both bullets were Remington 240 gr. hollowpoints as manufactured in the mid 70s.
I now use only hard cast lead bullets that I cast and heat treat myself.
Paul B.

Back