44 mag versus 243 for deer

Think I'd go .243 just for the increased accuracy and flatter trajectory. And because I have one. snicker. However, as mentioned, at up to 125 yards it won't make any difference.
"...Any reason for only considering the .243 Win..." Seems to me the only other option is .308 or pistol calibre rifles.

I like Buck's suggestion but in a different direction. I'm not a fan of pistol rifle combos in the same cartridge.
Replace the .44 with a Browning BLR in .243. Now you still have a lever action AND it's in .243. The BLR has open sights so you don't necessarily need a scope for your 100-125 yd shots. Now take any money left over plus what you would have spent on a decent scope and purchase a Colt 1911 in .38 Super. Two 'Murican classics!

If I had the choice between a .243 and .44 mag I would choose the .243 every time. But that is just me, the .44 mag will certainly kill them just fine.

Dont fix whats not broken. That said if you want a 243 then id get it. But id rather stick with a gun I know than try to use a new one.

Back