.44 mag rifle

Back when the FBI would have had to add a pelt of sheepskin to the denim, leather, glass, and other materials that they tested penetration with.

How do you stop a hydroshock? Simple. It's so easy that a caveman can do it.

I have a 1978 vintage Marlin 1894, good shooter. I have handled-but not fired-a Henry Big Boy with brass frame, had a good heft to it, should dampen recoil nicely.

I have two 44 mag rossi lever carbines--definitely among my most favored lever guns--and often my first choice when hunting. The 44 mag is probably the easiest cartridge to reload there is and within a 100 yds is serious medicine out of a carbine. Felt recoil out of a carbine is much less than out of a revolver. My current lever love affair is my Henry 45-70; but it's a bit heavy for woods creeping and the felt recoil is quite a bit more. My advice is go for a 44 without reservation!;)

Getting in little late but I own a Henry Big Boy brass in .357, a color case hardened Big Boy in .45 Colt, and a Big boy Silver in .44 Mag. You can't go wrong with any of 'em. They're a blast!

I've got 2 Rossi .357 Mags; a 20" carbine and 24" rifle as well as 2 Uberti 45 Colts; a 19" '66 Yellowboy carbine and a 24" '73 rifle and both calibers are a hoot to shoot. For range shooting and fun in the woods, I'd suggest a .357 Mag carbine. They are light enough to carry all day and with Buffalo Bore .357 Mag Heavy ammo, they pack a punch.

I have a nice lever action Rossi .44 Mag. 24" Octagon tubular magazine barrel.

414003275.jpg

Last edited:
There is the Ruger Carbine semi-auto in .44 mag, they can be a bit spendy. Another option is from the handi rifles that H&R made over the years. I owned one like this, it was made in the 70's, the Model-155 Shakira single shot. Scary accurate with the heavier barrel, too stand offhand and hit targets at 70 yards is a good thing.
a0GXNbA.jpg

"don't like shooting a rifle that have no recoil, it just feels strange to me."

Depending on the rifle and ammo, a 44 mag can make you "feel" differently.

I picked up a Rossi 16" 44 about 7 years ago/steel buttplate.
It is the only rifle (up to/including 458Win) that actually "hurt"

Fixed it... but it was ... interesting

I picked up a Rossi 16" 44 about 7 years ago/steel buttplate.
It is the only rifle (up to/including 458Win) that actually "hurt"

Fixed it... but it was ... interesting
Get a Henry Big Boy in 45-70 which also has a steel buttplate--the Rossi wouldn't hurt as much after firing the Henry.:D

I own a few 44 Mag long guns, including a Ruger 44Carbine, a Marlin 1896p, and an NEF single shot.

Every single one of them will let you know you've shot it.

For me, the Ruger Carbine is the most uncomfortable to shoot. Something about the shape of the buttplate, or the shape of the stock.

The NEF is the easiest shooting, but the slow second shot may be of concern for some.

44 magnum would be a great choice for hunting, but for target shooting at a range, 38 special and 357 magnum are a better choice and far more practical as a SHTF gun with enough recoil. You'll know it's not a 22. I have both and greatly prefer the 357 magnum as a general all around round with loads pushing 1700 to 2100fps. Just don't shoot full power 357 with light hollow points out of a carbine. 110s and 125s can melt in mid flight. You can get 38 special for under $15 per box and 357 around $25. 44 mag will run closer to $45. It's not a plinking round for those who don't reload. rc

I agree with RC. Loaded 44 magnum has gone silly expensive lately, especially so for us living behind enemy line.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back